Earth cellars

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Earth cellars

Postby arakell » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm

How about the ability to build earth cellars (a.k.a. root cellars, and Jordkällare in swedish, I believe?)
Or in other words "artificial hovels"? Hardly a critical addition, but it would be nice to be able to have some "home space" without taking much ground area. Probably would work exactly the same as a regular cellar, but with a small entrance directly from the main map, instead of going through a (space-hogging) house.
arakell

Re: Earth cellars

Postby Fostik » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Not only limiting request with cellars, game need some more storage buildings.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby arakell » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:08 pm

what kind of storage buildings would you suggest?
arakell

Postby Dondy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 pm

How about straw barn for storing haystacks?

Root cellar for storing Apples, pears, carrots, beets and turnips? They could be built into a ridge or one of those bolt holes at low material cost or just in the ground for a cost of much more digging and materials. You have to thatch with straw and dirt and then plant grass to complete them.

How about byre with stalls for cows so you know which is which by what stall they are in? It would include a pen for calves that can feed on their mothers while their mothers are in the stall?

How about stillroom with dedicated storage for herbs and tree seeds so you can store 180 pine cones or chives in their own dedicated container (no mixed contents so it's not just a supersized cupboard) and the storage bins cannot be removed from the stillroom?

How about dedicated slaughterhouse with hooks for carcasses so they don't decay on you as long as you keep topping up the snow or ice?

What about an ice house - like the root cellar it is built primarily by digging underground - It's a cellar without a house.

What about a woodshed for storing blocks, with a way to conveniently mark what is in each stack?

What about a shed for storing fish nets and cachalot hunting equipment?

We don't need any of these things but some of them might be fun, and might enhance the game a bit.

There are tons of possible storage buildings.

How about a buttery that allows you to stack barrels?

Alchemist's tower?

Crypt?
Dondy

Postby arakell » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Oh my. That's a lot - not sure about the necessity of all of them, but there is a couple of good ideas.
1. AFAIK "root cellar" is essentially the same as "earth cellar" (the former is a more american term, the latter is more british). I don't feel we need a specialized building for just storing fruits/tubers/etc. - I think a cellar like this, that takes just a little space overground but lets you create stacks of them inside (as a regular cellar does) would work quite fine. As for ice house - personally I think a better idea would be to actually (severely) reduce snow decay in cellars (either building cellars or earth/root cellars).
2. The idea of a stillroom I'd rather see as a constructable object inside buildings - potentially immovable, similar to the milling machine. But the idea is not bad. Same for slaughterhouse - I think a buildable "meat rack" in whatever building you like might work better - similar functionality, more flexibility.
3. I just learned a new word today - "byre" :D - I like the idea, but it would probably be a bit too complex to be worth implementing.
The rest... I have no strong opinion to be honest. But they sound like possibly interesting ideas.
arakell

Return to Critique & Ideas