Some structures and furniture ideas for QoL

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Some structures and furniture ideas for QoL

Postby Liss12 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm

I came up with some ideas that would improve heartlings everyday routine slightly and make things more tidy i guess

1) Barrel rack. Stationary furniture piece that would allow you to store barrels in it pretty much the same way as cart does, so you would be able to fit 6 barresl in a space that would normally allow you fit only 2 barrels.
2) Big oven, smelter etc. Exactly same functional as regular oven and smelter but, well, bigger, something suitable for a big village. Same fuel consumprion per slot, just less clicks required to maintain and to save space probably. I really think battery of ovens everyone have rn looks silly.
3) Barn/Warehouse. The real deal now. A rather big interactable structure probably same size as the wooden house that acts pretty much like granary but for STOCKPILABLE GOODS. Lets say 12 slots with 1000 items per slot capacity. For bulk storage and easy access to vegetables, fish, bones, clay and other materials that usually takes a lot of place to store and generally unhandy to deal with once you got too many stockpiles lying around.
4) Tool cabinet. Small stationary container that would allow you to store tools near your workplace. Whenever you are in a close proximity to cabinet (15-20 tiles or so) and craft something that requires certain tool, said tool would automatically jump into your hands from cabinet and return back once you done crafting. Belts already serves the same purpose, but this would help you with the situations when somebody logged out with your highQ saw on them.
5) Urn functionality overhaul. Rather than being regular (and useless) container, urn should function as a barrel- allowing you to store liquids and grains in it. It would be smaller than barrel 30L. or so, but much much lighter allowing even weaker heartlings to move quickly while carrying one.
Liss12

Re: Some structures and furniture ideas for QoL

Postby meus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 am

I'd also like to add:

Stockpile for logs, similar to the proposed barrel rack - it would be great to be able to, e.g., store the produced wood near the orchard, while still not blocking your way with logs.
meus

Postby Fostik » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Instead of proposing concepts as is, you'd better provide why they are required, and which problem they are solves.
All of that were proposed multiple times, so it's better discuss it rather than present a very fresh idea of stacking barrels, which is probably the most requested feature in the game.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Liss12 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Fostik wrote:Instead of proposing concepts as is, you'd better provide why they are required, and which problem they are solves.
All of that were proposed multiple times, so it's better discuss it rather than present a very fresh idea of stacking barrels, which is probably the most requested feature in the game.

Isn't improving quality of life good enough reason for you? Im ain't proposing anything that requires too much of work to implement anyway.
Liss12

Postby iamahh » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:19 pm

meanwhile for storage you can build towers + barter poles + barter stands
iamahh

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Towers are pretty hard to fit. These are smaller, more modular designs. I think I'd like all of them. I heard log stockpiles are planned after OCO so they can have variable materials but I got no source. All of these might have to wait for that tbh.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby SinJin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm

Liss12 wrote:
Fostik wrote:Instead of proposing concepts as is, you'd better provide why they are required, and which problem they are solves.

Isn't improving quality of life good enough reason for you? Im ain't proposing anything that requires too much of work to implement anyway.

Your ideas aren't QoL ideas, mostly. You're asking to make the game easier to play at scale. All that your ideas do is make village "A" , a higher member count and/or more active village, stronger and more efficient than village "B" which is has fewer members and/or less activity. It doesn't scale well in games. You're actually favoring the titans over the general population.

In reality, a more active village should generally be stronger than a less active village. Given that all other things are equal. But games can become less enjoyable to the general population if this is true in the game. The game becomes a lot less enjoyable to the general population if the few successful large villages that exist have a means to streamline their efficiency even more. This just makes a strong village stronger.

I believe this game should be weighted more towards smaller settlements. The bigger and more active a village becomes, the more effort and time that village's members should be pushed into investing into it. If they wish to remain competitive. Shit needs to become more difficult to keep organized, more difficult to find where a certain item(s) was placed, more difficult to manage those large herds of farm animals, more difficult to farm those massive fields, more difficult to craft larger volumes of foods. A very active village with a very large member count generally should be much larger in area size too. Again, if those members wish to remain competitive.

Large active villages already have it too easy. The simple acts of "saving space" or "fewer clicks to allow MORE actions" is a massive boost to those very large and very active villages. They are the only ones to benefit from your requests. QoL should have more weight towards the smaller settlement. Being able to maintain the success of a large active village should require more effort and pride.
SinJin

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:01 pm

the more I actually read what people are saying instead of outright dismissing them as retards after they say one dumb thing the more I think maybe it's not entirely jorbtar's fault "tedium is a feature" seems like it's their motto sometimes
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby abt79 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 pm

This would make urns even less useful than they are now.

Currently urns can be better than crates despite being slightly harder to create since they occupy significantly less physical space for the same amount of storage space. Unless you are willing to waste annoying resources like ropes, bone glue, and leather for something like a coffer, urns are the best massable outdoor storage until you get either metal or bulk straw.

With your change urns would just be worse than barrels. Harder to create yet slightly smaller than their wooden counterpart, but with less storage. Using truly useless Pots for storing liquids instead, or giving urns identical storage space to barrels/some other "pro" like an urn rack or being able to drink directly from urns, would be much better than your proposed urn change. Being able to lift them easier isn't much of an upside (carts do in fact exist), if it was you wouldn't be complaining about how useless they are currently.

the rest seems ok tho, i mean I don't really see the point of larger ovens/etc but it would make things marginally easier
abt79

Postby Liss12 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm

SinJin wrote:
Liss12 wrote:

Your ideas aren't QoL ideas, mostly. You're asking to make the game easier to play at scale. All that your ideas do is make village "A" , a higher member count and/or more active village, stronger and more efficient than village "B" which is has fewer members and/or less activity. It doesn't scale well in games. You're actually favoring the titans over the general population.

In reality, a more active village should generally be stronger than a less active village. Given that all other things are equal. But games can become less enjoyable to the general population if this is true in the game. The game becomes a lot less enjoyable to the general population if the few successful large villages that exist have a means to streamline their efficiency even more. This just makes a strong village stronger.

I believe this game should be weighted more towards smaller settlements. The bigger and more active a village becomes, the more effort and time that village's members should be pushed into investing into it. If they wish to remain competitive. Shit needs to become more difficult to keep organized, more difficult to find where a certain item(s) was placed, more difficult to manage those large herds of farm animals, more difficult to farm those massive fields, more difficult to craft larger volumes of foods. A very active village with a very large member count generally should be much larger in area size too. Again, if those members wish to remain competitive.

Large active villages already have it too easy. The simple acts of "saving space" or "fewer clicks to allow MORE actions" is a massive boost to those very large and very active villages. They are the only ones to benefit from your requests. QoL should have more weight towards the smaller settlement. Being able to maintain the success of a large active village should require more effort and pride.

Those larger villages use foken bots to do chores anyway and bots dont care about tediousness or monotony. I only want to make this game more enjoyable for actual human beings and don't give much shitte about big boys competetive tryharders who will use scripts anyway.
Liss12

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas