Better World

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Better World

Postby Robertzon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 am

Try hopping into whirlpools, there's atleast two continents that are not on the map yet
enjoy my mspaint skills as I won't post the correct map picture
also thingwalls can teleport you over the ocean so it doesn't really matter where you settle(if you don't want to stay too far away to trade with others)
i bet theres a way to "unlock" a thingwall that you haven't discovered somehow, maybe when realms happen..
Robertzon

Postby Reyajh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:57 pm

That's what I call a better world ^.^
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby VDZ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:03 am

Robertzon wrote:Try hopping into whirlpools, there's atleast two continents that are not on the map yet

What if they're not just not on the map yet but simply not on the map? Perhaps the big twist is that there's more than one map, and only whirlpools can switch between the maps. I find it very strange that there's still no confirmation of the locations of other continents.
VDZ

Postby Robertzon » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:11 am

VDZ wrote:
Robertzon wrote:Try hopping into whirlpools, there's atleast two continents that are not on the map yet

What if they're not just not on the map yet but simply not on the map? Perhaps the big twist is that there's more than one map, and only whirlpools can switch between the maps. I find it very strange that there's still no confirmation of the locations of other continents.

No way they have "two" seperate maps, it will be very very empty. Discovering a new continent after 2 or 4 weeks of playing is useless, nobody who played from the beginning will settle there.
No confimation of the location of other continents is because half of the people who discover them don't use shublas client (that uploads your map tiles automatically) or they just don't want their "exploration" on public maps, only on their private ones or just not any at all.
Also you need to connect new continents somehow if you discover them with whirlpools so that means you need a snekk atleast
Robertzon

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Broomdust wrote:Not only does the massive amount of ocean take up way too much room on the map, the inability to reliably traverse it on a fresh character makes it fucking impossible to find a place that's not right on top of another claim.

Well, I can at least assure you that the spawn area is considerably larger than last world, and also large than the pre-ocean world 10. World 8, of course, was the most humongous world we've ever had by a considerable margin (even though the initial spawn area was by far the smallest), and I think W9 was a bit larger than normal too, but to be sure, this world is by no means unusually small. If anything, we received quite a lot of positive feedback on the tight spawning in the last world, so I was kind of afraid we had made this world's spawn area too spread out, but I wanted it anyway due to its other properties.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 pm

loftar wrote:
Broomdust wrote:Not only does the massive amount of ocean take up way too much room on the map, the inability to reliably traverse it on a fresh character makes it fucking impossible to find a place that's not right on top of another claim.

Well, I can at least assure you that the spawn area is considerably larger than last world, and also large than the pre-ocean world 10. World 8, of course, was the most humongous world we've ever had by a considerable margin (even though the initial spawn area was by far the smallest), and I think W9 was a bit larger than normal too, but to be sure, this world is by no means unusually small. If anything, we received quite a lot of positive feedback on the tight spawning in the last world, so I was kind of afraid we had made this world's spawn area too spread out, but I wanted it anyway due to its other properties.

How big was world 8?
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Reiber » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:49 pm

loftar wrote:

probabbly depends on where you ended up, i have heard of almost uninhabited continents and likewise of 24/7 raidfests,
sadly i´m in one part of the map where at least 3 different factions of raiders seem too make an daylie visit too once or twice, and ive never traveked an river for even one lake without meeting at least an sprucecap
i´d actually would prefere too travel 3 rl days before meeting some shmock
Reiber

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:59 pm

Astarisk wrote:How big was world 8?

Area-wise, it was ~7.7 times as large as the previous world (including all the space taken up by the ocean), or 25 times as large as W10 (the last non-ocean world).
loftar

Postby Robertzon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 am

loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:How big was world 8?

Area-wise, it was ~7.7 times as large as the previous world (including all the space taken up by the ocean), or 25 times as large as W10 (the last non-ocean world).

what was the reason to make such a big world?
Robertzon

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 am

Robertzon wrote:what was the reason to make such a big world?

A couple, I guess. I've always kind of envisioned the ideal Haven world to be indefinite (I've had plans to auto-run the mapgen whenever someone closes in on a map border), so if nothing else it would've been just to try and see how a really large world worked in practice. For another thing we wanted to try and mix things up a bit by making it harder to find your friends and established groups, so part of the reason was just to prevent people meeting up in a corner of the map (the map was also non-rectangular and had lots of corners).
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas