Better World

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Better World

Postby Broomdust » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Continents continue to suck.

Not only does the massive amount of ocean take up way too much room on the map, the inability to reliably traverse it on a fresh character makes it fucking impossible to find a place that's not right on top of another claim. I have spawned 6 characters over the past 5 days, and walked around for 5 to 6 hours on each until I either died from an unlucky dugout decay on ocean or simply gave up after seeing no direction to head for island hopping. I have never been out of sight of an established claim, even in the ocean every island worth anything has a big claim on it and half the useless tiny rocks in the middle of nowhere have someone on them. The one single time I thought I found an empty place I threw up a claim, went to bed, and woke up to find 6 people swarming around and some jackass that threw up another claim literally one minimap away from mine.

This is dumb, it's not fun, I don't even really have a suggestion other than make the map generation and spawn area not cancer.
Broomdust

Re: Better World

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Its nice having some neighbor around. They will quit in 3 weeks anyway so you don't have to worry really. If they don't quit in 3 weeks, just give them your old HQ stuff and soon they will.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:30 pm

"oceans take up too much space" is a backwards way of saying "the map should have been bigger". We've had much much bigger worlds in the past, so we know the servers can handle it. Quite a few people like the higher density since it promotes haven as a multiplayer game instead of a more freeform runescape. Generally the most open worlds sucked.

Either way, whirlpools are how you traverse islands pre-snekkja. Used the mechanic last world to a very nice effect.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:47 am

Let me double check with jorb, but pretty sure he or loftar have stated something about the size of land the last few worlds compared to w10.

Sevenless wrote:Either way, whirlpools are how you traverse islands pre-snekkja. Used the mechanic last world to a very nice effect.

Some of the distance between continents from the maps looks like they could be crossed via Thingwall if they connect.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jackwolf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 am

Something along the lines of
The world has the exact same amount of usable land space as world 10, just with oceans added. The amount of ocean/salt water has not detracted from land tiles players can walk around and build upon
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby jorb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 am

Won't spoil it by commenting. ^^
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Procne » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:11 am

jorb wrote:Won't spoil it by commenting. ^^

Ooooh a mystery!

What if the current map is in fact "starting continent", and there is some way to discover / unlock more lands outside of it

edit: Actually, has anyone been to the northern border yet?
Procne

Postby iamahh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 pm

btw, are vortexes still available in W13?

I didn't explore much the waters
iamahh

Postby Sevenless » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm

iamahh wrote:btw, are vortexes still available in W13?

Yes, but I'm guessing jorb's implication is that they can't reach the new continent
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:55 pm

iamahh wrote:btw, are vortexes still available in W13?

They are, I live near a vortex. From what I can tell, they work the same way they always have (though I can't confirm the 'changing every two weeks' part yet as we're on day 7). (Though I don't know if the destinations are same continent or other continents yet; if anyone can confirm Lanov or Jorlea is not on the southeast continent that would disprove that theory. Haven't found Thingwalls in other vortex locations yet, and don't know their locations on the map.)
VDZ

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas