Hiding Food Ingredients

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hiding Food Ingredients

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:16 pm

With haven's multi combo food system, it takes a lot of effort to find recipes that are of high quality. But all it takes to copy one is to see it once. That means people can't sell foods that are from made easily found ingredients without immediately losing the investment into figuring out the recipe. Although I've been told it's fixed, "Double chived chicken" was an example in previous worlds, and in this world smoked foods definitely qualify. The effort lies heavily in figuring out the good combos, while the ingredients are relatively accessible.

If we had a way to hide Food ingredients/recipes, it opens up the ability for people who want to sell foods without sharing the recipes. Maybe making a sandwich out of food+bread that simply copies the FEPs/Hunger and doesn't display ingredients? Now, and in past worlds, I actively don't want to sell anything other than static foods like cheese because of this.

Edit: I would swim to sweden to punch someone if this is interpretted as "remove all variable ingredient displays on food items". Just a convenient way to make, as Vatas said, secret recipes (with some form of UI interaction that isn't horrendously annoying).
Last edited by Sevenless on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Hiding Food FEPs

Postby VDZ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Why would you hide the FEPs in this case? Isn't hiding just the recipe enough?
VDZ

Re: Hiding Food FEPs

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 pm

VDZ wrote:Why would you hide the FEPs in this case? Isn't hiding just the recipe enough?

Wow did I manage to completely mix this wording up. Lemme fix that.

Edit: Fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Re: Hiding Food Ingredients

Postby Southpaw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:04 pm

a complicated issue, but i agree. Fast food and restaurants don't advertise exact food make-up for their secret recipes!
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 pm

Mystery food with fep hidden is an interesting idea though.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 pm

It's convenient to see ingredients when planning and stuff, how about way to permanently hide them in a food if you want to sell them as "secret recipe."

(In a way that doesn't require individually clicking every single piece of food.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 pm

vatas wrote:It's convenient to see ingredients when planning and stuff, how about way to permanently hide them in a food if you want to sell them as "secret recipe."

(In a way that doesn't require individually clicking every single piece of food.)

This is exactly what I'm suggesting... badly. So far I haven't managed to explain it properly to the three people who asked me about it XD

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Vigilamb » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm

How about we just nuke the Butcher's Surprise recipe as-is, and re-purpose it to be a "food masking" recipe for meats/sausages, and make a similar "Baker's Surprise" (or some other name) for baked goods? Some level of hiding recipe is important.
Vigilamb

Return to Critique & Ideas