Metal industry and game progression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Metal industry and game progression

Postby AriZona » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:30 pm

This post in no critique. I find the new update in metal industry very healthy, rational, and big thanks to devs here.

On the idea side, I find reasonable to see 'aka' the bone/stone (no metal), soft metal, and hard metal 'ages' a bit more pronounced and stretched even more in time. I believe that this could be accomplished in few way: increasing LP cost buying skills AND introducing a reasonable RNG event to enable the access to another skill (to make the game less deterministic). The ability to transit into or learn other skills could be dependent on INT x LORE x the ability type (like masonry for metal, farming for farming and gardening, etc.).

Thanks.
AriZona

Re: Metal industry and game progression

Postby Jackwolf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 am

+1 on the compliments.

I do think the "soft metal" age should be expanded a bit. 80% of what you can do with soft metal is locked behind Hammer & Anvil, so it feels exciting! to just be a little bit disappointing. If the recipes were hidden behind seeing an Anvil that would be pretty neat.
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby Southpaw » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 am

one of the worst things you could probably do to industry is add more goofy uncontrollable RNG-gates on something pivotal to "competition," and also add even more LP costs to what already costs 150k for the final tier.

those first few days fucking suck.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby meus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:26 am

Yes, early world sucks, but also gating game content behind even higher LP wall would keep the status quo. Even now, a week into the new world that will probably last a year or so, we have people with Bronze which is hard metal already. Any gating mechanics will anyway be skipped, and instead of living in the "bone and stone era" people will just rush hard metal and later steel, as they do now.
meus

Postby Undefined » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am

It's definitely slowed down progression slightly, this is certainly the first world I've ever gone mining with a cart full of logs because I'm still using crappy wooden supports due to what seems like a reduced chance of finding excess hard metal I can justify spending on supports on the first couple of layers, combined with the massive amounts of lead everywhere.
Undefined

Return to Critique & Ideas