Glassmaking is the stupidest shit you've ever done

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Glassmaking is the stupidest shit you've ever done

Postby azrid » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:45 am

Its actually a good thing.
Glass and glass making products have value now.
We have a whole new industry full of materials and products that can now be traded.
Stop doing everything yourself and interact with some players.
azrid

Postby Procne » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 am

Im fine with lye, but the time it takes to boil seems too long. It shouldnt require babysitting.
I would be ok with quicksilver being required for some high end products. Because it's not that easily available with cinnabar, a regional rock, being the only source. But currently the stuff that was considered basic until now (spectacles) suddenly became hard to get. Maybe that's not bad - elevating spectacles to a higher level of difficulty
Procne

Postby VDZ » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:33 pm

jordancoles wrote:then baby sit them for 1/3 of a work day

Procne wrote:It shouldnt require babysitting.

jordancoles wrote:1 piece of raw glass uses .20???

Holy shit you guys, if you do not even properly try or at least do basic research on the mechanics before complaining, how can you expect devs to take your complaints seriously? It's only 0.2 per glass, and you can just put ash in a cauldron, light it, then (as Phaen pointed out) come back a long time later to re-light it and it will continue where it left off, completing that second time. It's neither hard nor expensive.

At the same time, nobody complains about steelmaking, which is exactly the worst-case scenario you describe except worse? Steelmaking progress instantly and completely resets if you ever don't have time to play for 12 hours during its 56-hour process. Even if glassmaking worked as you described, how could it be 'the stupidest shit [they]'ve ever done' when steelmaking is still bullshit like this?
VDZ

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 pm

VDZ wrote:
jordancoles wrote:then baby sit them for 1/3 of a work day

Procne wrote:It shouldnt require babysitting.

jordancoles wrote:1 piece of raw glass uses .20???

Holy shit you guys, if you do not even properly try or at least do basic research on the mechanics before complaining, how can you expect devs to take your complaints seriously? It's only 0.2 per glass, and you can just put ash in a cauldron, light it, then (as Phaen pointed out) come back a long time later to re-light it and it will continue where it left off, completing that second time. It's neither hard nor expensive.

At the same time, nobody complains about steelmaking, which is exactly the worst-case scenario you describe except worse? Steelmaking progress instantly and completely resets if you ever don't have time to play for 12 hours during its 56-hour process. Even if glassmaking worked as you described, how could it be 'the stupidest shit [they]'ve ever done' when steelmaking is still bullshit like this?

But you don't need too much steel I think.

The problem with glass is that curios that you get from glass are pretty much the best craftable curios that you can do atm, so you must make a lot of glass.
If it was just glass for spectacles it wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Fostik » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:52 pm

For a fair price of ability to make glass potentially higher quality than raw sand, and decent buff for glass curios, boiling 1 cauldron of ash doesn't seem too expensive for me for 22 glass per cauldron per one cycle.
You dont even need to control it - full cauldron of water will be enough for entire lye making process
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Archiplex » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 pm

VDZ wrote:At the same time, nobody complains about steelmaking, which is exactly the worst-case scenario you describe except worse? Steelmaking progress instantly and completely resets if you ever don't have time to play for 12 hours during its 56-hour process. Even if glassmaking worked as you described, how could it be 'the stupidest shit [they]'ve ever done' when steelmaking is still bullshit like this?

this is a weird point to make, steelmaking gets whined about constantly. people just gave up about complaining because after several years of complaining about it no changes were ever made
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Ysh » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Trick is to make some other villager make glass.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby springyb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Being able to push glass quality higher is nice but there's not enough things to make out of glass for it to be worth the trade off. Lye is fine, the quicksilver part should be implemented better though.

The biggest RIP is needing a hammer and anvil for a tube before you can make a wine glass/bottle. They were good early game symbel to use before getting metal ones but now it's kinda redundant.
springyb

Postby wolf1000wolf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:22 am

Out of curiosity, how rare is cinnabar? I've found tons of casseterite, chalco and heavy earth and not a single whiff of cinnabar so far.
wolf1000wolf

Postby DPblH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 am

wolf1000wolf wrote:Out of curiosity, how rare is cinnabar? I've found tons of casseterite, chalco and heavy earth and not a single whiff of cinnabar so far.

Last world cinnabar could be found from level 3. But you still can find boulders at surface/caves.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas