Improving farming quality of life

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Improving farming quality of life

Postby ricky » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:34 pm

All I want is a farming survey that stacks crops into stockpiles

The tech is already there, we know it works with land surveys and dirt.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby iamahh » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 pm

ricky wrote:All I want is a farming survey that stacks crops into stockpiles

could use stockpiles, barrels and containers, would be great for regular players
iamahh

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm

loftar wrote:
razfen wrote:Players want to optimize their farming timings, as harvesting and replanting as soon as the fields are ripe results in the least amount of growing time wasted. When the crops are ripe and not harvested, they don't generate crops.

Perhaps this isn't documented well enough, but that hasn't been true for a long while. When they are ripe and not harvested, they keep on accumulating "growing time", which will be subtracted from the next generation of crops. Up to three RL days of non-harvested growing time can be accumulated with no loss whatsoever (up to a RL week with some loss), so there's no need to austitically watch your fields and harvest them the second they grow up.

i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 pm

loftar wrote:
razfen wrote:Players want to optimize their farming timings, as harvesting and replanting as soon as the fields are ripe results in the least amount of growing time wasted. When the crops are ripe and not harvested, they don't generate crops.

Perhaps this isn't documented well enough, but that hasn't been true for a long while. When they are ripe and not harvested, they keep on accumulating "growing time", which will be subtracted from the next generation of crops. Up to three RL days of non-harvested growing time can be accumulated with no loss whatsoever (up to a RL week with some loss), so there's no need to austitically watch your fields and harvest them the second they grow up.

Doesn't change the fact that the best way to grow farm quality is replant a small amount in short intervals (bots). Though I guess farm quality doesn't actually matter anyway since you can just forage WWWs if you're behind. So whatever.
DDDsDD999

Postby Sevenless » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Doesn't change the fact that the best way to grow farm quality is replant a small amount in short intervals (bots). Though I guess farm quality doesn't actually matter anyway since you can just forage WWWs if you're behind. So whatever.

Quality gain is related to generations. Each time a plant matures, you have a chance to gain quality. If you harvest 3 times a week, it doesn't matter if it's 2 days, 3 days (1 day boost accumulated), 1 day between harvests, it's still 3 harvests in 6 days. All you have to do is make sure you don't overshoot the accumulation time. That system doesn't work great with turnips/carrots, but everything else it's fine with because their growth period is long enough.

The other complaints I would have about quality grind gets nullified by quality max nodes. If you're playing longterm and you know your crops are going to cap out around 200ish, the pressure to force grind that as quickly as possible just isn't there. Also the WWWs like you mentioned.

Overall I'm ok with this current system mostly because of how the cap works with it. But I'm not sure how the long world community at large feels about having crop caps tbh.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:55 am

Sevenless wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Doesn't change the fact that the best way to grow farm quality is replant a small amount in short intervals (bots). Though I guess farm quality doesn't actually matter anyway since you can just forage WWWs if you're behind. So whatever.

Quality gain is related to generations. Each time a plant matures, you have a chance to gain quality. If you harvest 3 times a week, it doesn't matter if it's 2 days, 3 days (1 day boost accumulated), 1 day between harvests, it's still 3 harvests in 6 days. All you have to do is make sure you don't overshoot the accumulation time. That system doesn't work great with turnips/carrots, but everything else it's fine with because their growth period is long enough.

The other complaints I would have about quality grind gets nullified by quality max nodes. If you're playing longterm and you know your crops are going to cap out around 200ish, the pressure to force grind that as quickly as possible just isn't there. Also the WWWs like you mentioned.

Overall I'm ok with this current system mostly because of how the cap works with it. But I'm not sure how the long world community at large feels about having crop caps tbh.

The quality rolls are based on timer and location. If you want to maximize quality gain, you plant every few hours so you land within as many quality gain timeframes as possible. Or if you're really try hard you plant in separate localities to get multiple quality rolls.

Anyone competent/tryhard enough to have the bots for this will probably make crop circles to ignore the max quality node mechanic entirely.
DDDsDD999

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:57 pm

My thoughts on this, any of these would be an improvement imo.
Crops should grow slower and yield much more per tile.
There should be a way to plow with animals
A method to plant or harvest with animals feels wrong, but could be an option.

Grass itself should be a crop of sorts used to grow actual hay, which would be the primary feed for certain livestock. Large swaths of hay could be harvested at once with a scythe, then built into hay bales/blocks that we can lift and set near livestock so they can feed off it.
Quality of your grass raises over time, or could be increased by some other process.

And not to scream muh realism, but irl at a minimum most crops take at least 60 days to reach maturity(really its like 90+), and many crops in haven grow in less than 10 in game days. Thats nutty to me, but w/e.
Fierce_Deity

Postby SavageFox » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:15 am

ricky wrote:All I want is a farming survey that stacks crops into stockpiles

having the Harvest automatically be placed into a stockpile would make the quality of life who are the farmers a lot better I would love to see that
SavageFox

Postby ErdTod » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:27 am

I've returned to this thread to say that I completely agree that fields should take longer to mature but yield more. And the "growth speed" bonus from realms should be replaced by a quality bonus instead, cause most of the time you wanna them to grow faster for the quality to raise faster. I am so tired of tending to my fields almost every day, and I'm not even a village farmer - a hermit farmer! I imagine village farmers spend all their game time just doing that...
ErdTod

Postby tadeo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:57 am

It would be nice if next patch will have some new features which make farmers life easier. For start make horses or cows can pull plow ;p
World 2-4 Small steps in hermitting nothing big ¦]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
World 12 Ted Mega Chad Hermit
World 13 Ted Member of Kulwa Village / ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
World 14 Ted Member of Alpaca Farm
World 15 Ted Member of Tempest City
tadeo

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas