Rawhide shouldn't activate if there are no horses to affect

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rawhide shouldn't activate if there are no horses to affect

Postby jordancoles » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 am

Just drained my whole exp bank by spamming the hotkey without anything happening, lol
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Re: Rawhide shouldn't activate if there are no horses to aff

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 am

rawhide shouldn't cost xp
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:59 am

Replace xp cost with an consumable item that's literally made from Raw (undried) Hide.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:52 pm

okay, before I get monkey's pawed: rawhide shouldn't cost anything, but should have like a 1 second cooldown

Also, horses being used in combat is big hugely gay and I thought this was a lesson well learned in world 8 & 9. The actual effect of raw hide, even if the user has infinite XP to burn isn't enough to make horses not insanely useful in combat - especially with the MASSIVE buff they got this world via thingwalls. It would be a huge improvement if rawhide had additional effects, like reducing a horse's stamina if it's hit when it has a rider, increased range that is at least equal to render distance, the horse refusing to be ridden again for a minute or so, etc
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sephiron » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:okay, before I get monkey's pawed: rawhide shouldn't cost anything, but should have like a 1 second cooldown

Also, horses being used in combat is big hugely gay and I thought this was a lesson well learned in world 8 & 9. The actual effect of raw hide, even if the user has infinite XP to burn isn't enough to make horses not insanely useful in combat - especially with the MASSIVE buff they got this world via thingwalls. It would be a huge improvement if rawhide had additional effects, like reducing a horse's stamina if it's hit when it has a rider, increased range that is at least equal to render distance, the horse refusing to be ridden again for a minute or so, etc

agreed, horses being used for combat is retarded and unrealistic. Running up to someone/something on a horse and coming to a dead stop so you can wack whatever it is with a sword is fucking stupid. Why do I need to tame a horse just to chase a boar? don't let injured animals despawn and let us follow their blood trail ffs. horses should have a chance to get spooked when hit and force players to dismount
Sephiron

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:31 pm

Sephiron wrote:agreed, horses being used for combat is retarded and unrealistic. Running up to someone/something on a horse and coming to a dead stop so you can wack whatever it is with a sword is fucking stupid. Why do I need to tame a horse just to chase a boar? don't let injured animals despawn and let us follow their blood trail ffs. horses should have a chance to get spooked when hit and force players to dismount

It kinda reads like you're supporting horse based combat. Realism doesn't mean fun balanced game, and horses just can't fit in a fun and balanced way into the pvp system haven has. Not when so much of the system is based around movement.

If we just say all pvpers now need to ride horses (rawhide removed that is), whoever has the best bred horses can negate much of the pvp system. They can always catch someone, they can always run away. Several credos become absolutely mandatory for pvp due to their interaction with horses. Changing the pvp system in a way to accommodate that is a pretty big stretch, a dangerous rework for a relatively small reward.

But the devs agree hunting is wonk, now it's just waiting for them to do something about it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas