Removing Stone Boulders, Add Quarrying

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Removing Stone Boulders, Add Quarrying

Postby pawnchito » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:02 pm

Please consider this thread. The first 2 posts summarize the entirety of the sentiment on this mechanic.
pawnchito

Postby Killface » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:20 pm

I hate to be 'that guy' but in my admittedly pretty limited experience mining 4-5 levels and around 20k-30k tiles, no trolls, probably 10 slime and moth spawning events, etc; I don't get that many boulders. In fact when I'm mining and trying to get one for 'chip x' credo quests, its hard sometimes. This MAYBE an argument for the quarry command, but the frequency of boulders naturally dropping feels like it makes mining require more attention than just setting a 20x20 block and watching it go. Theres a fine line between anti-botting measures and flat inconvenience, but I think this does a pretty good job of riding it. Maybe reduce the frequency from ~5% to ~2% and add quarry command?
Jackard wrote:kvc has eleven secret herbs and spices
Killface

Postby Arbys » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm

I really wish it was just a rare event, like 1/1000 to 1/5000. Then getting a boulder of a normally non-boulder stone type would be a cool rare thing for decoration/cairns. Instead it's like 1/4 - 1/10 or something obnoxiously bad. I got 8 in a goddamn row during the one time I mined this world, to confirm mining sucks worse than ever. My favorite part of the game and it's just bogged down with incremental misery over the years.

Edit: Definitely would support the quarrying option as well, anything to undo the current state of boulders.
Arbys

Postby bumfrog » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:15 pm

+1 to this elegant, no-brainer fix
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Killface wrote:my admittedly pretty limited experience

This just about sums it up.

The boulder update was not implemented under the visage of limiting botting. The ability to "automatically" mine large underground section is literally built in to the default game. Jorb just went through a phase where he added layers of inconvenience and complexity to a bunch of different industries a while back, and his experience mining is surely about as limited as yours.

I think anybody who has actually played this game a considerable amount with a mining character would agree that this is an objectively negative implementation.

The idea of getting boulders is fantastic, but it should absolutely be a toggleable ability that is off by default and not an obnoxious, intrusive lottery.
Zentetsuken

Postby Killface » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
Killface wrote:my admittedly pretty limited experience

This just about sums it up.

The boulder update was not implemented under the visage of limiting botting. The ability to "automatically" mine large underground section is literally built in to the default game. Jorb just went through a phase where he added layers of inconvenience and complexity to a bunch of different industries a while back, and his experience mining is surely about as limited as yours.

I think anybody who has actually played this game a considerable amount with a mining character would agree that this is an objectively negative implementation.

The idea of getting boulders is fantastic, but it should absolutely be a toggleable ability that is off by default and not an obnoxious, intrusive lottery.

Clearly nobody gives a fuck how you feel though, and the direction of the game isn't about how loudly you can sit and cry. I don't have to play a game I hate 20 hours a day to get a decent enough sample size to see that boulders aren't so common that they ruin the ability to mine, they just require you to do more than drag across the screen and watch the game play for you. You contributed nothing with your post except to throw shade, you didnt use any numbers or facts, just talked about what YOU think the rationale for boulders is and took some weird 'i played more than you' highground, great post top marks
Jackard wrote:kvc has eleven secret herbs and spices
Killface

Postby mulamishne » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:36 pm

To be fair, Zentetsuken is right though. Boulders were added as some strange 'eh toss it in there'ism seemingly only to break area mining. You're fairly new to the current iteration of the game, but man it was better without boulders stopping the mining.

Add the toggle.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby DonVelD » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:42 pm

Killface wrote:Clearly nobody gives a fuck how you feel though, and the direction of the game isn't about how loudly you can sit and cry. I don't have to play a game I hate 20 hours a day to get a decent enough sample size to see that boulders aren't so common that they ruin the ability to mine, they just require you to do more than drag across the screen and watch the game play for you. You contributed nothing with your post except to throw shade, you didnt use any numbers or facts, just talked about what YOU think the rationale for boulders is and took some weird 'i played more than you' highground, great post top marks

Did you feel hurt by this post or some shit lmao
He literally stated what anybody experienced with mining feels about the boulders, they don't stop anyone from botting or do whatever it was intended to achieve. It's just an inconvenience to anybody playing the game over all. Also who the fuck gives a shit about "facts and numbers" anyway if we're talking about how the game FEELS like playing?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby pawnchito » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:16 pm

Killface wrote:I hate to be 'that guy' but in my admittedly pretty limited experience mining 4-5 levels and around 20k-30k tiles, no trolls, probably 10 slime and moth spawning events, etc; I don't get that many boulders. In fact when I'm mining and trying to get one for 'chip x' credo quests, its hard sometimes. This MAYBE an argument for the quarry command, but the frequency of boulders naturally dropping feels like it makes mining require more attention than just setting a 20x20 block and watching it go. Theres a fine line between anti-botting measures and flat inconvenience, but I think this does a pretty good job of riding it. Maybe reduce the frequency from ~5% to ~2% and add quarry command?

This doesnt stop botters at all though dude. Like at all. If they are botting they take an extra few minutes to write out this "solution" to botting. Only those that dont bot are inconvenienced.

What is lost by having a toggle for the quarry though? Especially if its gated behind a credo (some of the credo rewards are dog shit) or something. Its a toggle for less annoyance if you like to mine and are human.

Look at the pic I posted, that was all natural and I got a shitload of boulders. Too many.
pawnchito

Postby WowGain » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm

Killface wrote:Clearly nobody gives a fuck how you feel

I see 4 pages of consensus on this topic and then the lone person (you) throwing a temper tantrum about it like a toddler

Btw, please fix this along with the rest of mining jorb.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas