Improve whale spotting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Improve whale spotting

Postby Tammer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 pm

I suggest being able to craft a telescope that you could equip while you are sailing. If there is a whale within some range (maybe a big square 9x the viewable area?), it would pop up with a "Thar she blows!" message similar to sensing ore when mining.

Reason: finding a whale is tedium! I've heard that some people have bots to find whales but I don't really get how that works. I've just been sailing around, turning the world's supply of tar sticks into peculiar floatsam and haven't spotted a sperm whale yet.
Tammer

Re: Improve whale spotting

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:24 pm

I'm not saying this is worse than the current way we find whales, but I must say that this will not work. I assume you don't know how tile loading works in haven, but if you do, you'll understand why.

But holy shit man, whales are so retarded. Can we have a whale overhaul or something? Nerf them, make them something we can summon rather than scoutbot or something, decrease their health (why do we have to spend 20 minutes attacking them to kill them?)

There really needs to be an entire discussion on whales.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Tammer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:39 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I'm not saying this is worse than the current way we find whales, but I must say that this will not work. I assume you don't know how tile loading works in haven, but if you do, you'll understand why.

Doesn't it load the whole mapgrid at a time? If you sail down the border between mapgrids then you load both; the square of 4 mapgrids around you when you're at a corner is the size I was suggesting.

I'd be happy with an item or hearth magic that improves the percentage of causing a whale to spawn instead.

Or if someone wants to give me some hints on current whale spotting methods, please suggest away!
Tammer

Postby pawnchito » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I'm not saying this is worse than the current way we find whales, but I must say that this will not work. I assume you don't know how tile loading works in haven, but if you do, you'll understand why.

But holy shit man, whales are so retarded. Can we have a whale overhaul or something? Nerf them, make them something we can summon rather than scoutbot or something, decrease their health (why do we have to spend 20 minutes attacking them to kill them?)

There really needs to be an entire discussion on whales.

Don't tease us with the hidden knowledge. Whales are hard as heck to find.
pawnchito

Postby strpk0 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 pm

There's no hidden knowledge, you either get a bot (several, even) to look for whales for you for upwards of 20 hours a day or you'll be lucky to find even one.

Daily reminder that whales are terrible and the game would be far better without them entirely.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby pawnchito » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:50 pm

I mean about how tiles are loaded. 4 at a time if you clip in between them it sounds like though. Totally makes sense but I'm not sure it's documented anywhere. Why I said hidden.
pawnchito

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 am

strpk0 wrote:There's no hidden knowledge.

I ain't saying nun

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Return to Critique & Ideas