Fire-setting for early game mining

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Fire-setting for early game mining

Postby Ferinex » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:05 pm

i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Re: Fire-setting for early game mining

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:08 am

Pretty sure that was one of the big complaints about Salem. (To be fair, it'd probably be more appropriate to this setting rather than Renaissance or Colonial period.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:26 am

It was absolutely aids in salem. I can't imagine how it'd be better here. Setting fire for every couple tiles to make them softer? It's better for the game to just tell you no.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:16 am

The technique was very dangerous in underground workings without adequate ventilation.

Yes making fire in tight enclosed spaces is very good idea. I hope they implement this soon.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:37 am

MagicManICT wrote:Pretty sure that was one of the big complaints about Salem.

Sevenless wrote:It was absolutely aids in salem..

I never had a problem with it, but I can understand that building 20 fires and waiting them to burn out might be still considered merely "immersive" the first time around, but if you have to do that multiple times a day to keep up with mining... I can see why people might grow to dislike it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Fostik » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:41 am

MagicManICT wrote:Pretty sure that was one of the big complaints about Salem. (To be fair, it'd probably be more appropriate to this setting rather than Renaissance or Colonial period.)

In salem it was the only way to crack hard rock

In haven there is absolutely cancerous system that requires you a tons of strength and tool quality to proceed with mining, making a quite stupid gating or even blocks your development entirely in certain cases. And by cancerous I mean the fact that you can dig rock just like a warm butter having completely enough strength and tool quality for level you are in, and then face a basalt, quartz or any other hard rock that will require you hundreds of strength to continue. Having ability to proceed tile by tile with fires is a fair alternative for being unlucky to spawn your minehole in tough rock spot and waiting another 100-200 str to continue playing.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:10 pm

vatas wrote:I never had a problem with it, but I can understand that building 20 fires and waiting them to burn out might be still considered merely "immersive" the first time around, but if you have to do that multiple times a day to keep up with mining... I can see why people might grow to dislike it.

It's as if we're all complaining about the obnoxious tedium and there's always that one human being figuring out there should be even more tedium

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm

Sevenless wrote:It was absolutely aids in salem. I can't imagine how it'd be better here. Setting fire for every couple tiles to make them softer? It's better for the game to just tell you no.

Actually, it was only for the initial walls on a level + occasional "black wall " you find.
They had higher chance of containing good metal within them.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby AriZona » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:08 pm

Yet another try to obtain rewards without even trying and turn the game into mindless clicker like on tablets :(
AriZona

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:13 pm

What about:

1. No tile will need fire-setting to be mined.

2. Any tile can be fire-set once to make it bit softer.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas