Progressive content system on new world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Progressive content system on new world

Postby fairystyle » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:50 pm

WowGain wrote:
fairystyle wrote:Isn't it naturally just like this. Without it being forced to an artifiial time gate

No, try actually reading the thread next time tho

I don't really believe that eternal hermit is fast enough to catch up on brought up time gates, so why would people like you point me to reread something
fairystyle

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:58 pm

fairystyle wrote:
WowGain wrote:
fairystyle wrote:Isn't it naturally just like this. Without it being forced to an artifiial time gate

No, try actually reading the thread next time tho

I don't really believe that eternal hermit is fast enough to catch up on brought up time gates, so why would people like you point me to reread something

The point isn't ONLY to give hermits a chance to catch up, that would just be a nice byproduct. I think the main point is to not make the game boring as fuck and unplayable after 2 months for a lot of people. Veterans of the game are completely capable of rushing through all the content, PVPing, having all industries up and running behind unsiegable walls and being able to spit out alts with enough resources to make death meaningless within 1-2 months. After that the game is literally just a meaningless number grind.

Having content behind timegates might solve this.
Zentetsuken

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:59 pm

atleast needs to make counch spawn after few weeks after wipe to not give 300q stone to naked alts
ctopolon4

Postby Halbertz » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Similar time gates system implemented on free shards of another MMO that I've been playing for a long time. The result satisfied the entire spectrum of players. The best teams, running into a time gate, just went to play cs, entering the game only on pvp. Most of all, this gave the weaker guys, who for the first time were able to at least smell the asses of the tops, being on the same screen with them, instead of existing as eternal dirt from under the nails.
+1
Halbertz

Postby DoctorCookie » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Not against the idea, but explain how the end result is not just extending the world 49 days(or whatever the last time gate is.) I see how it could allow more casuals to keep up for a time, keep interest up, stress down, for a time. After day 49, business as usual?
DoctorCookie

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:31 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:Not against the idea, but explain how the end result is not just extending the world 49 days(or whatever the last time gate is.) I see how it could allow more casuals to keep up for a time, keep interest up, stress down, for a time. After day 49, business as usual?

The amount of days is certainly up for debate, but yes, it would be business as usual afterwards.

That being said, the ground work would be laid out for them to push the gate further, add new content that doesn't appear for months, add new endgame PVE content, foragables, events and other stuff that unlocks after many months. Timegates don't have to only function as base game content unlockers, they can serve as platforms for future content that may take many months to unlock and add a sense of FOMO to the game which could keep people logging in for longer.
Zentetsuken

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:41 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:After day 49, business as usual?

By the 49 day mark this world afaik both factions had stopped seriously raising qualities. If not, then definitely soon after
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:47 pm

I remember how in vanilla WOW, both sides had to donate resources to open new zone Gates of AQ.
It served as a currency/ material sink and a timegate.
That was pretty dope in my opinion.
And I'm not saying that we should implement it in originality, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Add 1000 warrior ants to unlock ant dungeon. Dungeon is limited to your continent.
If enough continents unlock it, it becomes available to spawn throughout the world.
Obviously, number and resources are arbitrary, but the concept applies and serves the process of slowing down the power creep.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Procne » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:25 pm

I believe those high quality monster spawns shouldn't be a stroke of luck, but rather an indirect result of player activity, with the conditions undisclosed to players.

Like trolls spawning Y time after X gems / tiles of ore have been mined in some area
Conches spawning Y time after X cave monsters have been killed in some area
Procne

Postby Pickard » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:27 pm

Not the worst idea overal. Will make world start much less stressful.
I'd add
day 75 = quarryartz
I consider quarryartz is one of the a main reasons why w13 was much shorter than w12.
Another reason is extremely slow realms expansion, so most of the villages got no buffs or got it too late.
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas