Progressive content system on new world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Progressive content system on new world

Postby jock » Mon May 02, 2022 8:32 pm

telum12 wrote:
jock wrote:
terechgracz wrote:Do you people have any argument against hard timegates apart of that you don't feel it is good? I think it's great, easy to implement, works synergistically with world resets.

removes chase, creates the "well i guess we wait till xyz day lets go play......xyz." "o look we missed the release of xyz, now we are behind, we can come back next world."

Lower mine levels are to easy to reach because of other mechanics. Hard locking them doesn't solve their mechanics. Just delays it.

Also, it makes a CLEAR if you're not ready for this at this time you are behind.

It also feels bad to remove content from players, the perception of Hard Time gates it bad. It's not progression it's waiting. Nothing you do has any effect on it.

Current system:

Factions et al. at lvl 9, Jock at lvl 1.

Jock: "Better continue grinding!"

Proposed system:

Factions et al at lvl 2, jock at lvl 1 cus he missed the lvl 2 unlock.

Jock: "Man, I missed it! Better quit until next world.

---

You fundamentally don't understand what these suggestions are about, and no one cares.

Grow up. I clealy do and because i disagree with hard gates your trolling.
jock

Postby VDZ » Mon May 02, 2022 9:52 pm

pawnchito wrote:It feels like I'm taking crazy pills seeing the one that has the most to benefit from not time gating is advocating for time gating.

It's not just one person or group that is 'advantaged' by the lack of time gates, it's multiple, opposing groups. This means that to not fall behind each other they all have to no-life extremely hard. It seems they want to give up this 'advantage' to reduce the nolifing, in such a way that it doesn't make them fall behind (by nerfing all the top players). Even with massive nerfs, the top groups will still easily dominate the vast majority of the players; the difference is so large that it's primarily the difference between the groups that matters. And assuming you're talking about Snail, though I know to take whatever Snail says with a pinch of salt, and I don't really follow faction politics so correct me if I'm wrong, from what I've seen posted on the forums Snail generally seems to be slightly behind other top players progression-wise? That would make this essentially 100% upside.

terechgracz wrote:Do you people have any argument against hard timegates apart of that you don't feel it is good? I think it's great, easy to implement, works synergistically with world resets.

It's arbitrary and unintuitive. Haven is not an abstract game; most game mechanics have some degree of thematic logic behind them. You don't raise value A and obtain token B to get a combined number greater than C so you can obtain token D, you raise your strength and get a good pickaxe to make powerful enough strikes to dig out malachite. This makes the game much easier to comprehend and more importantly, much more engaging. I don't want token D, I want cool-looking green ore. I'd have a hard time memorizing that the combination of value A and token B must exceed value C, but it makes sense to me that if a rock is too hard I need to either get stronger or get a better pickaxe.

Timegates likewise need to be dressed up as something interesting and memorable, and while Zentetsuken's suggestion of arbitrary lore events does address this to some degree I'm sure I'd be bored by the third earthquake hollowing the underworld, in addition to simple arbitrary timing making it less interesting. (In contrast, if some faction accomplished some incredible feat to unlock the next layer worldwide and I'd get a notification about it, I'd go 'Whoa, they managed to do that already? That's crazy!' instead of 'oh, another cave level. I'm still on level 2 so who cares'. I imagine the difference would be all the greater for the faction that would now be celebrating their accomplishment.)

jock wrote:removes chase, creates the "well i guess we wait till xyz day lets go play......xyz."

It's not like Haven has a shortage of things to do outside of the bare minimum activities required for a faction to stay competitive.
jock wrote:"o look we missed the release of xyz, now we are behind, we can come back next world."

What? This makes no sense, it's the opposite. If you miss two days of cave level 3 being opened and there's still 12 days until level 4 opens then you have 12 days to get to and make the most out of level 3, and you will enter level 4 around the same time as others. This is in contrast to the current situation, where others would also beat you to level 4 by two days, and level 5, and level 6...7...etc. They're never gated to let you catch up.

jock wrote:It also feels bad to remove content from players, the perception of Hard Time gates it bad. It's not progression it's waiting. Nothing you do has any effect on it.

So have it be influenced by players. Ideally, something that players do that progresses the world for everyone. (Could be a community effort, a single-group effort with a special reward for that group in addition to the global progression, or something in-between.)
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue May 03, 2022 12:14 am

VDZ wrote:from what I've seen posted on the forums Snail generally seems to be slightly behind other top players progression-wise? That would make this essentially 100% upside.

Not really? It's hard to provide an exact time-frame for that kindof thing, but the only time I can remember being significantly behind was very early world 12, and even then we were still ahead of AD in the first week or two. They couldn't even rly fight because they were so short on bronze. By week 3 or so that world we were ahead or on par, it just wasn't fun getting to that point. And hey, if we were super behind we could always leech somebody else's anvil, which is pretty common in factions, even if I don't personally enjoy it.

It's definitely 100% upsides for me, though. Trust me when I say every faction member wants fights verse average groups to be harder. It's fun to go to Jock's village and 5v1 them on a trash char, but it'd be a lot more fun to have a somewhat competitive 3v5.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Vraatjuh » Tue May 03, 2022 8:31 am

I'd like this idea to be combined with quality increasing over time of all world resources (animals, forageables, stone, ore etc...).
This way you have a hardcap early game where stuff unlocks over time and a softcap later on.
Would also keep an incentive to play a bit longer as you have a natural quality progression. And reduce the need to grind infinitely to stock up on all goods, as stuff you get today will be less usefull in a week from now due to quality inflation.

Another problem it would solve is the (re)-joining later in the world. At the moment the feeling of playing a new game/world gets 'ruined' as you can just raid some abandoned bases that have quality stuff you will not reach (ever) as a hermit. Natural quality progression would make abandoned bases obsolete after a certain time and encourage self-progression.
Vraatjuh

Postby jock3 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:32 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
VDZ wrote:from what I've seen posted on the forums Snail generally seems to be slightly behind other top players progression-wise? That would make this essentially 100% upside.

Not really? It's hard to provide an exact time-frame for that kindof thing, but the only time I can remember being significantly behind was very early world 12, and even then we were still ahead of AD in the first week or two. They couldn't even rly fight because they were so short on bronze. By week 3 or so that world we were ahead or on par, it just wasn't fun getting to that point. And hey, if we were super behind we could always leech somebody else's anvil, which is pretty common in factions, even if I don't personally enjoy it.

It's definitely 100% upsides for me, though. Trust me when I say every faction member wants fights verse average groups to be harder. It's fun to go to Jock's village and 5v1 them on a trash char, but it'd be a lot more fun to have a somewhat competitive 3v5.

I'm glad you are still hot for me and you take every chance you can to put us in the same stories. It's kinda sweet tbh.

However, the issue is that making a combat character is work and it is work that often can vanish or worse be completely and utterly outclassed in so many ways. Plus this game isn't a PVP game. It's a crafting and grinding game with PVP slapped on the side.

None of the mechanics actually incentivize PVP really. like realm ownership is a cool meme but why invest the sheer expense into it when you can let someone else do it and get the buffs for free?
Or why try to attend a meteor if you are not in a zerg of numbers?
What does PVP actually give the player? loot that is often worse than you already have with the odd rarity of something of value?
jock3

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:13 pm

bump, please read the atleast the first page of this thread jorb
Zentetsuken

Postby SnuggleSnail2 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:39 pm

Unironically, within the context of metal spiraling being in the game this would all worthless dogshit that achieves nothing.

If the game wants to be nothing but an autistic botfest it should lean into that instead of trying to pretend
SnuggleSnail2

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:49 pm

SnuggleSnail2 wrote:Unironically, within the context of metal spiraling being in the game this would all worthless dogshit that achieves nothing.

If the game wants to be nothing but an autistic botfest it should lean into that instead of trying to pretend

I agree, re-adding spiraling was a mistake
Zentetsuken

Postby jock » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:45 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
SnuggleSnail2 wrote:Unironically, within the context of metal spiraling being in the game this would all worthless dogshit that achieves nothing.

I agree, re-adding spiraling was a mistake

depends if it's about bringing up bad metals of low quality rather than pushing the quality of already high metals. Some method of making all metal have value again beyond mine supports.
jock

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 pm

Formal request for mods to delete or archive this thread.

It's unproductive to pretend the game intends people who don't have a CS degree & 60 hours/week to spend programming to have nice things. OP clearly doesn't fit the developer's vision, and should be ignored.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas