Incentivize Decorations

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Incentivize Decorations

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:36 pm

I can't imagine something like this hasn't been suggested. But, here's my take.

Problem:

There is currently no real purpose to building decorations.

Solution:

Incentivize decoration building by adding complex yet non-random system of village-level rewards based on creating decorated areas within the village.

System:

Create a category of dominant decorations. A dominant decoration is a larger decorative centerpiece intended to establish a small decorative zone which can be filled with related, subordinate decorations. Example: a decorative pond. Should be a non-trivial, mid-game resource investment. Should be marked as having a theme, such as "garden" for a pond.

Assign all other decorations a value and a theme. For example, a bell fountain would have attached the theme "garden" and a value relative to other decorations in its theme.

Someone then builds a dominant decoration, such as the pond. The pond has a radius, and any valued decorations (bell fountain) built within the radius intensify the effect slightly, depending on point value and theme, which can all be checked by inspecting the dominant decoration (ideally).

The effects of the arrangement are added to the village as local bonuses.

Possible Effects:

Reducing stamina drain on specific tasks within village (harvest, building, tree tasks, etc.)
Increasing LP gain within village.
Adding a quality bump on cooked food, baked food, etc.
Increase the length of time light sources burn.

Broadly speaking, the bonuses should not overlap with the realm effects. Those suggested above are mostly QoL stuff.

Ultimate Value:

Add a meaningful reason to add aesthetic choices to the world(s). Also increase meaningful mid-game content.

On the dev end, devs could periodically add new decorations/themes when they need something small to push.

Conclusion: I'm sure the community could offer plenty of suggestions for decoration types/effects.
ThorleifCleaver

Re: Incentivize Decorations

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:52 pm

Well, I guess it's time.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:18 pm

Decorations are larpy without incentives. Is the point. I have never personally built any of them. If they are included as game content, there really should be reasons beyond pure larping to actually engage with the content.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby vatas » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Sole purpose of decorations should be to make the place look aesthetically pleasing.

Even when I was in a village full of sweaty bois, they were happy that I had to ambition to do paving and stuff to make the place look nicer.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:48 pm

But is paving not practical? It certainly impacts stamina drain, demarcates certain areas, etc. I'm talking about the pure flavor items that otherwise have no practical application.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 am

Making a mechanic mandatory because not everybody wants to engage with it seems like the inverse of fun. If you want more people to decorate maybe suggest something to make it more enjoyable?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby WowGain » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:07 am

fuck ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooff
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:37 am

I don't actually want anyone to decorate. I don't see the point, really. But then I wonder why there are so many pieces of content that have no practical use. Hence, a suggestion. How to make it fun, I don't know. Playing with a village's mechanics seems fun to me. Decorating, not so much.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby Vigilance » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:40 pm

ThorleifCleaver wrote:I don't actually want anyone to decorate. I don't see the point, really. But then I wonder why there are so many pieces of content that have no practical use. Hence, a suggestion. How to make it fun, I don't know. Playing with a village's mechanics seems fun to me. Decorating, not so much.

bro what the fuck why did you make the thread then AHHHHH
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Let me simplify. Decorations = useless content. Useless content = bad. Fix = add reason to use decorative shit. Game mechanic > game aesthetic.
ThorleifCleaver

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas