Combat moves - let's be honest

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Combat moves - let's be honest

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:34 am

Another topic in let's be honest series.

The way that we get combat moves is fine but amount of grind is not fine.
Killing 1,10, 50 boars for getting cleave and deers for zig-zag is fine. Killing 100+ boars/deers/bears to get moves is not fine.
I don't even mention farming ants to get "chop". That's not definition of fun

Solution:
Please buff a bit chance to get combat move from killing an animal. There is way too much grind required. What do you say about adding a chance to get 2 combat moves at once?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Combat moves - let's be honest

Postby Fostik » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:42 am

Combat instructions is already a solution here, it can increase speed of combat moves discovery significantly: with it you'll receive combat discovery almost granted on next proper animal kill.
A decent community of players continuously sharing each new level of required skill as instruction between each other discovers all required skills quite fast.

I think it proper to have this process much slower and more difficult if you doing everything yourself.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:44 am

Ye, combat instructions are "somewhat" solution but we don't lose anything when we help hermits progress a bit faster
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Sevenless » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:07 am

I've done a bit of mucking around with this + observed my village's progress through a couple worlds now, and I have a theory on how it works: You aren't supposed to get everything alone. Combat instructions paved the way for the co-dependance even though I'm not sure which came first.

"Farming ants for chop" just doesn't seem to work (I've tried). There's probably some kind of reset involved eventually, but you get rapidly diminishing chances to loot any card from an animal the more you've killed. So you have a village of hunters spreading out and getting their discoveries, helping people get cards they haven't found yet via instructions. Those either don't count against the card diminishing returns, or you tend to grab them off easy an species you've already mulched 200x and it doesn't effectively matter. But whenever you start killing a new species, you get cards really quick at first. After you've killed for first 10-20 (random numbers, it's definitely under 50 though), your chances of getting extra moves off that species until the "reset" are effectively 0. But if you stop killing something (because it's shit to eat like badgers) and come back a month later you can grab a card again on your first kill pretty easily.

So the optimal strat is to have multiple hunters all sharing moves with each other to complete decks. Usually you need 3-4 people doing it to finish decks in a decent time frame (functional decks in <1 week, complete decks in <2 weeks? but it's been a while so I'm fuzzy on that).
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:17 pm

should just revert it back to legacy style where u buy it with lp
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 pm

wonder-ass wrote:should just revert it back to legacy style where u buy it with lp

That's very nice idea
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Postby bumfrog » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:

aw quit bitchin, red reduction being locked behind gacha lootboars is totally fair and balanced! :D
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby dafels » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm

wonder-ass wrote:should just revert it back to legacy style where u buy it with lp

what the fuck are you talkin about you nostalgic prick, learning moves by killing tons of badgers, foxes and boars is way more realistic and fun! are you assuming that the devs hasn't improved game basic concepts over the years?
dafels

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:48 pm

remove pvp
Zentetsuken

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas