Unobtrusive, low effort changes 4 early world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Unobtrusive, low effort changes 4 early world

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 am

• Take the FEPs AND hunger away from: butter porridge, roast hoppers, cattail stew, boiled odds, (edit: and mushroom spit) (solves a lot of the unfun meta gaming around hunger)

• Let me destroy these fucking things. Immovable natural objects dictate a silly amount of what we build for a game about player agency(caves too, if they're claimed haha)

• Yeet the travel weariness cost from: roads, hearthing, docking. It has no impact on the mid/late game, but makes parts of the early game cancer

• Revert the changes you guys made to vehicle rotating. You did this as a way to prevent unkillable scouts, but unkillable scouts 1) aren't a big deal, 2) are still insanely easy to make. You will get 100s of bug reports about people being confused why they can't move, or their knarr is perma stuck

• Lower the energy cost of labor in general, but especially terraforming/mining/cutting trees. Every world we just beacon/charter in and work to death hundreds of characters because, 1) doing it on a main fucks their hunger, 2) food in general is kinda expensive

• Buff the durability of early low quality armor drastically. I will often take my armor off to fight things because it's so expensive, which is just silly. a Q10 steel/leather chest piece has 100 durability, which is less than 1 good hit in PVP. I think this also contributes a lot to 100% of noobs not wearing any armor for ages. Sword buffs also make armor durability a lot more relevant in PVP.
    ImageImage

• Make the level 1 (from overworld to natural cave level) not cost hard leather. Every world we end up not making our initial mineholes in our base because it's more efficient to start from a cave and Hleather is too expensive to waste.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: Unobtrusive, low effort changes 4 early world

Postby heeheega » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:02 am

i find it funny that terraforming here just to spite the player
heeheega

Postby Oddity » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:30 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Take the FEPs AND hunger away from: butter porridge, roast hoppers, cattail stew, boiled odds

I approve of this
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Ozzy123 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:36 am

Good ideas, would actually let us do more stuff on mains, noone likes alts..

I would leave the travel weariness as it is, I think early world you should walk around and explore and not teleport through roads
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 am

Ozzy123 wrote:Good ideas, would actually let us do more stuff on mains, noone likes alts..

I would leave the travel weariness as it is, I think early world you should walk around and explore and not teleport through roads

An alternative I would be pretty happy with is it going down as if you're in a Q10 bed sleeping regardless of what you're doing. It feels like a punishment for playing the game that being logged in means your weariness doesn't regenerate.

also: Image
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 am

I agree with every single idea here, especially the armor & snekkja change, +1
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby terechgracz » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:21 am

Your ideas are very good. Seeing them added would be very nice and very cool.
terechgracz

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:29 am

+1 to all.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby VDZ » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
  • Make the level 1 (from overworld to natural cave level) not cost hard leather. Every world we end up not making our initial mineholes in our base because it's more efficient to start from a cave and Hleather is too expensive to waste.

Wouldn't this make it common for people to spam surface mineholes near bases to probe for underground security holes, especially if you also remove the leather requirement, as well as in general making cave layer 1 much, much more accessible than it is now? I think this change would have more consequences than adding just a bit of convenience. Perhaps the hleather requirement could be reduced (10 hleather is a LOT) but I don't think it should be removed entirely, it should at least remain a bit of an investment.

SnuggleSnail wrote:Every world we end up not making our initial mineholes in our base because it's more efficient to start from a cave

Which is arguably a good thing. Natural terrain being valuable gives more meaning to the choice of location to settle. This element also makes it more likely you'll stumble upon random ore veins (opened by other players) when exploring caves a bit later on; if surface mineholes were inexpensive everybody would just have their own private minehole, possibly entirely unconnected to a cave entrance but typically at least far away from one.

Agreed with hearthing and docking TW being unnecessary, though, and I also unequip armor to prevent unnecessary wear (especially gilded armor like the Bat Wing). The energy suggestions are IMO just bandaids for a problem that should be resolved by fixing the issue that hunger is so important that eating the wrong things is a devastating mistake.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 pm

There is practically no situation in which I would choose to build a minehole of the suggested price over walk 1-2 minimaps away to find a cave and mine over
SnuggleSnail

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas