Scale LP character gains by curios per day rate

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Scale LP character gains by curios per day rate

Postby banok » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:45 pm

Even tho it doesnt work great prev worlds, the idea behind hunger system in hafen is a catchup mechanic where if you eat less food or essentially play less, you get a bonus to feps that helps a little.

We need a simular mechanic for the other big part of player progression, LP.

The simplest and best way to do this seems to scale LP gain based on number of curios completed within given time period.

Ie. J.Lo should track numver if curios studied over time to calculate a curio/perday rate. If have been inactive your curios/day rate would decrease giving you a LP boost until your curios/day rate hits new theshold. Theshold could be based o global leader or something

This would somewhat change curio choice against shorter curios like mirkwood. But that is completely inline with the objective as these are already favoured by most active players, whereas slower curios favoured by less active playing.

I expect the most active players/forumposters will hate this idea because its changes the status quo and doesnt fit their playstyle. But i still felt like posting anyway because jlo are occasionally susceptible to common sense
banok

Re: Scale LP character gains by curios per day rate

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm

The system is not broken. Pointing to a broken system as an example to emulate is a very poor reason for making such hazardous changes to a system nobody has issues with.
VDZ

Postby banok » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:16 pm

Your argument is basically this is a bad way to come up with an idea so it must be a bad idea. Thanks.
banok

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:21 pm

banok wrote:Your argument is basically this is a bad way to come up with an idea so it must be a bad idea. Thanks.

Rather, you are trying to fix something that does not need fixing, and the other major mechanic that they tried to improve this way is broken as a result precisely because of the same intent you have here. Once a non-broken way of accomplishing that intent for the food system has been found we can talk about making a catch-up mechanic for the curio system. Just implementing it straight away because it sounds good on paper will just lead to the same problems we have with the hunger system and make things far more unbalanced than they were before the 'fix'.
VDZ

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:02 pm

The one area where "catchup" is truly required is in PvP. The current delta (the impact of your UA/MC vs their UA/MC) mechanic makes pvp LP based titans no longer a relevant concept. Fighters only grind meaningfully for 3-4 months, and even then most of that grinding is for stats not lp.

I don't think this situation is one that requires mechanics, it's fixed already by mechanics that catch the truly negative impacts elsewhere.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby banok » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:06 pm

@vdz so essentially you think trying to improve it will likely make it worse. I can understand that but still think improvements are worth discussing and considering

@sevenless it is true that for mc/ua there is a diminishing returns mechanic but these are only 2 skills from the list of where you can spend LP. Thus balancing lp gains has vast effects of village development/quality etc. that trickle into pvp such as food/equipment quality etc.
banok

Postby Massa » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:07 am

god I can't wait to fucking flatten motherfuckers like you just for your awful opinions when this shit wipes.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby The_Lich_King » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 am

Massa wrote:god I can't wait to fucking flatten motherfuckers like you just for your awful opinions when this shit wipes.

Massa have you ever actually flattened anyone? I genuinely can't remember if you have ever had a presence is world PVP. (Not that i am one to talk, i have also never once ever been relevant to pvp)
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Massa » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:14 am

The_Lich_King wrote:
Massa wrote:god I can't wait to fucking flatten motherfuckers like you just for your awful opinions when this shit wipes.

Massa have you ever actually flattened anyone? I genuinely can't remember if you have ever had a presence is world PVP. (Not that i am one to talk, i have also never once ever been relevant to pvp)

I'm a fucking boomer talking shit like a traumatized Vietnam veteran but I still shot up that village bud.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby The_Lich_King » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:46 am

Massa wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:

I'm a fucking boomer talking shit like a traumatized Vietnam veteran but I still shot up that village bud.

fair
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas