grand exchange

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

grand exchange

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:46 pm

a grand exchange type market would work really well in haven, could use the charter to access it. easier trading or trade hub in general where people can go to chill would prolong the games market and life span by a lot.
I know you guys have a hard on for community made markets but literally nobody that has made a relevant market likes maintaining a market.

I would buy trash from hermits if it takes me like 2 clicks I'm not going to waste my time going to a market so I can fill my 5x5 inv every trip.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Re: grand exchange

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:03 pm

I really like salem's market thing, but I didn't play salem much so idk if that one's good or bad. In my opinion it's better than what we got in hnh.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 pm

No one really used the salem market that way the couple worlds I played, and the lack of ability to build/do interesting things with the space takes away a lot of the possible niceties that current community markets have. That's before we have to deal with possible abuses and hard coded rules to protect the space with no human oversight. I also just don't like having any hard coded space in haven. People always build markets, and I think with spiralling back this world if it depends on bulk metal trade there will be a very big incentive to do so this world.

I ran a very small market this world for a month, and I think the main costs of the market came down to interacting with people. If there was some way to more fluidly rent out stalls with a proper UI, I think the system would be way less burdensome. The other issue being nothing to buy from people, which I frankly think is the most important problem we have. Anything that was hermit accessible that I could buy, I needed in very low quantities. This lead to an unstable supply of currency for the market comers. I really doubt people would buy junk from hermits long term, and a couple weeks of charity won't fix that issue.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 pm

The last stream Jorbtar essentially said they expect players to 1) be autistic enough to setup & maintain a functional community hub themselves, 2) other players not be autistic enough to grief it.

If they haven't seen that it's a retarded line of thought by now they're not going to.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm

Sevenless wrote:No one really used the salem market that way the couple worlds I played, and the lack of ability to build/do interesting things with the space takes away a lot of the possible niceties that current community markets have. That's before we have to deal with possible abuses and hard coded rules to protect the space with no human oversight. I also just don't like having any hard coded space in haven. People always build markets, and I think with spiralling back this world if it depends on bulk metal trade there will be a very big incentive to do so this world.

I ran a very small market this world for a month, and I think the main costs of the market came down to interacting with people. If there was some way to more fluidly rent out stalls with a proper UI, I think the system would be way less burdensome. The other issue being nothing to buy from people, which I frankly think is the most important problem we have. Anything that was hermit accessible that I could buy, I needed in very low quantities. This lead to an unstable supply of currency for the market comers. I really doubt people would buy junk from hermits long term, and a couple weeks of charity won't fix that issue.

I ran my own market for a while during the last few months of the world and had good success. Mostly catering to hermits, I used the market to buy up things I didn't really want to source for myself any longer: deer and other useful meats at any game stage, alchemy ingredients, etc. All were easy for hermits to come by, and it was easy for me to offer in exchange goods equal to most of that found at the big market. The issue of players/factions who can build markets having nothing worthwhile to buy from newer players is real, though it is not absolute. Small, private markets are viable strategies, but for a large faction, they are not, since the stuff I might find hard/tedious to source a group of 5+ would not. A solution is an honest, deep rethink of what constitutes rare, valuable objects in-game. Metal spiraling will help, but that's simply one aspect of a very large body of objects. I don't think the solution is to somehow force a player-driven market on the game via hardcoded rules.

And the Salem market was relatively well-used when the game was alive, since the game did, in fact, have a number of inherently valuable items, at least at the time. I've often wondered why the developers don't take pages out of other successful niche games. Take Kingdom of Loathing as an example. KoL offers various items of the month for purchase, each with interesting properties. I could see a dev-built small community hub at the center of the world, not a market but a center with a few shops selling shit like items of the month, etc. Ideally they would not operate like hats: they would be unique, lootable, and persistent across worlds, showing up as artifacts randomly if lost. Paid for with in-game currency, they could operate as a resource sink. Now, I'm sure that idea is flawed in many ways, but the principle is probably sound. Small community non-market hub, regular unique items. Leave the markets to players interested in building them, since that's fun.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby dageir » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:46 pm

They should not implement the stalls of Salem. A grand exchange kind of thing on each continent with the need to travel between continents to get more exotic goods. The placement for each GE could be decided on which village on each continent which build it first.
dageir

Postby Fostik » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm

Ran a market as well and I cant say that it's crucial to always have trash purchase from hermits in order to fill market with coins. It's rather a way to inflate economics when needed.

The key to self-sufficient economics on market is to support the ability of anyone, even newbie hermit to join market to sell or buy their stuff, having a variability and exclusivity on market lets it exists on it's own without owners always selling top things and creating dummy purchases.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:44 pm

Not to side with the devs, but I don't think it is necessary for them to set up a dedicated safe market spot, as cool as it would be.

If this is something that a bunch of pvpers and competent fighters were actually interested in it would simply just exist?

There is nothing stopping people from all the main pvp factions to agree upon there being a completely neutral village that hosts a market where they can both sell their stuff.

Think Constantinople and Emerald Village. Maybe they were not truly neutral, but they were defended from most major factions and it was used as a neutral hub, and together factions could join together to defend it from griefers.

It's 100% possible for this to be a thing, but the main factions who normally host their own markets would have to swallow their pride and their greed in order to accomplish it.
Zentetsuken

Postby dafels » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:55 pm

official markets or anything similar like that is a dog shit idea. pls ban this forum section
dafels

Postby Fostik » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:59 pm

The fact is that player-built markets will only appear between 1 to 2 month of world, missing the most active game period
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas