Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:30 am

A NEW TOP IDEA EARLY-GAME WORKSTATION

Adding the ability to crush (some) rocks in to the game would be a fun, passive way to add a few more aesthetic/larpy pavement types as well as an opportunity to add a sink for materials that would normally be left to despawn on the floor.

The idea is as follows -

For the low, low price of Stone Working, a hearthling should be able to craft a Granite or Quartz boulder in to a Rudimentary Rock Crusher. I think? these are the hardest rocks in the game, and limiting textures makes jorbs life easier.

Image
expertly drawn example of such a work station.

The idea would be that you could engage this workstation with inventories full of soft rocks and smash them in to what is essentially gravel. For the sake of limiting textures and some semblance of realism, this could be limited to sedimentary and volcanic type rocks. I am not a geology expert but I assume this would be like basalt, dolomite, limestone, sandstone and breccia.

Crushed rocks would simply change format in the inventory and give you their gravel variant, with a small chance of turning in to a cool curio and maybe some other stuff could be implemented over time.

Image
percents are just examples

Crushed/gravel rocks could be used for alternative pavement textures.

Image

I assume that more rocks and fun rare drops could be added along the way, as well as many more uses for gravel. Like the bulky part of that new embankment thing or the Menhir? An alternative bonus modifier for mulch bins or even planters pots? (adds aeration?) A way to introduce semi-precious gemstones as rare rock-specific drops (agates, smokey/rose quartz, citrines, etc.) for some early game alternatives to dust gems?

The workstation itself could even wear with use for more on-brand menial realism.

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES, SO MUCH FUN
Image
Image
User avatar
Zentetsuken
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Flameturtle » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:36 am

I like it, but that's a lot of new textures, we have tonnes of different stones.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
User avatar
Flameturtle
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am

Flameturtle wrote:I like it, but that's a lot of new textures, we have tonnes of different stones.


Each gravel type would only need to add 1 additional ground texture, I just made 2 of examples to show what they COULD be.

Also, I will say that between the gravel, fossil, geode and ground textures, it took me less than 20 minutes of dickin around to find and create these bad but functional examples without the benefit of the existing layers and pallets of their original files. I am pretty sure that jorb could hammer out a geode, fossil, gravel and pavement alternative for the 5 rocks I suggested in less than 2 hours.
Image
Image
User avatar
Zentetsuken
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby iamahh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:53 pm

textures could probably be automated, using some Loftar magic
iamahh
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm

Good idea, I like it.
ZoddAlmighty
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Mashadar » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:09 pm

iamahh wrote:textures could probably be automated, using some Loftar magic

Indeed, the types of cells used in the paving texture can be procedurally generated and then used as an overlay over the actual stone texture.
The current one was most likely generated as well, so generating a unique one for each stone type and finer variants for the gravel shouldn't be an issue.
User avatar
Mashadar
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:14 pm

bumping this to add an additional idea

the ability to turn larger boulders in several of their smaller counterparts

I think these are often used as decorative objects, so it would be cool to be able to smash a big boulder in to 2 medium, and a medium in to 2 small, etc.

This workstation could easily be the thing that accomplishes such a feat
Image
Image
User avatar
Zentetsuken
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Sephiron » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:41 pm

pls make it so crushing amber has a 50% chance to spawn midges
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Sephiron
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Reiber » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:53 am

Zentetsuken wrote:bumping this to add an additional idea

the ability to turn larger boulders in several of their smaller counterparts

I think these are often used as decorative objects, so it would be cool to be able to smash a big boulder in to 2 medium, and a medium in to 2 small, etc.

This workstation could easily be the thing that accomplishes such a feat


i´d much rather see an way too move big boulders, small boulders look puniy and shit compared too there bigger oblong bretheren. but at this point, if you want some for decoration, your only chance is to settle around them and no touchy
User avatar
Reiber
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Re: Rudimentary Rock Crushing

Postby Ukhata » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:34 am

Reiber wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:bumping this to add an additional idea

the ability to turn larger boulders in several of their smaller counterparts

I think these are often used as decorative objects, so it would be cool to be able to smash a big boulder in to 2 medium, and a medium in to 2 small, etc.

This workstation could easily be the thing that accomplishes such a feat


i´d much rather see an way too move big boulders, small boulders look puniy and shit compared too there bigger oblong bretheren. but at this point, if you want some for decoration, your only chance is to settle around them and no touchy



hitch a bull to a rock, and pull it along? :D
Ukhata
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am


Return to Critique & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sephiron, Sevenless, kaysaari and 4 guests