Water is unreasonably dangerous

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Water is unreasonably dangerous

Postby Myrddin » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 am

Sevenless wrote:
Myrddin wrote:Oh, Jorb and Loftar, you know what would be a great? Limitation for players not to produce a bunch of corpses for the sake of exploring the map. Make it so that one user cannot create more than a certain number of characters per day|week|month|in general. I mean like not more than 3 characters in a week, not more than 3-5 in one time for account. Yes, hora-map-explora can create new accs, but it could be pain in ass. This equalizes the chances of ordinary hermits and those who immediately try to find everything at once/open the entire map. Give them a riddle, give the hermits the opportunity to have resources and surprise first-day-rush-play--two-month-any-wipe-chanse players. ¦]

I mean it disgusting and ridiculous, world not even started, was 30 mins from start and corpses in every bay on my way, wtf? Sry for offtop.

That's actually about 1-2 characters per player. Everyone spawns an explorer, first to find a cave with useful biomes has everyone else suicide and beacon in. Your fix wouldn't change that. Also people properly exploring are running 3-5 accounts at the same time and don't suicide their characters since they need unbroken map stretches for programs to stitch.

Just trying to give perspective on what the big groups are doing. It's the manpower of having 20-50 players working together that causes the disparity.

I know what big bands do, I've been to a few myself in past worlds. And I also know how out of twenty people in the third month there are from two to five ;) I know this tactic "scout and drown" well. It's just rather grumbling and offtopic, in fact, I don't think there can be a solution. Just infuriates the number of corpses in the water everywhere. By the way, I did not think about whether there is a limit on the number of characters, lol. I usually always had a maximum of two, and then the second usually turned out to be abandoned. Apparently, I somehow “wrong” play this game and “don’t want” to win (what, whom, why?), but just enjoy it ;) Never mind, I'm just a grumpy vagrant ;)
Myrddin

Postby tyrtix » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 am

VDZ wrote:
tyrtix wrote:and then, if you have your toon next to a shore (30 tiles?), it will drift toward it, leaving you ko'ed but with only 1 HHP; if you're farther than that after you lost all HHP, you die and that's it.

I can already see the salt:
  • The griefer who broke your boat puts a single leech on you, draining you for your final HHP after some time
  • You apply some yarrow to a lesser wound so you at least have some HHP left, instant death
  • You (or a griefer while you're KOed) take off your CON gilding pants, instant death
  • Your malaria, infection or snake bite gets worse, suddenly killing you out of nowhere while you're just walking around
  • You decide to chop some wood (possibly as part of the process to heal yourself) or pick up a nettle, you get cost of doing business'd
  • After hearthing home you are immediately attacked by a midge swarm that fucking kills you instantly

So many ways to die that all feel far more bullshit than simply drowning.

Funny that all you added are a couple things that players will or can do, and nothing of those reduces or amplify the opening question, wich is "water is dangerous". You could even say, at this point, that water saves you when you run away from animals...lol
tyrtix

Postby fedor77 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm

telum12 wrote:
fedor77 wrote:If you gonna have a ability that doesnt let you cross 5 meters of deep water safely, dont call it swimming, call it sinking.

be a bigger boi

Is everybody in this forum this socially inept they cant understand a joke? Holy shit this game really is minecraft.
fedor77

Postby Finigini » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:54 pm

In water, hearthlings will drown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRg0MK_kAKs
Finigini

Postby Tichothewolf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 am

Drinking water restores energy but surrounding yourself with water drains it really fast.

The solution is simple, enable drinking while swimming.
Tichothewolf

Postby ItsFunToLose » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:54 am

As someone who hasn't played since world 4, swimming feels fucking fine.

It used to be impossible to swim across the narrowest rivers on a fresh spawn. I'm comfortably swimming across fat rivers with zero points in con. You could drown in 2 inches of water in your own bathtub and blame it on god for making water wet.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby sMartins » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:33 pm

I agree, water needs an overhaul ... Very old and outdated .... Being washed away on some beach would be cool, but also let us swim a bit more .... Not in winter
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby MightySheep » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:57 pm

the 1 tile difference between permanently losing ur char or living

lol
MightySheep

Postby shubla » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:23 pm

MightySheep wrote:Image

the 1 tile difference between permanently losing ur char or living

lol

Yea pretty dumb.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby The_Blode » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:28 pm

I really much like the idea of having your hearthfire broken or disabled, and washing up on a nearby shore (or downriver) with a pneumonia wound. Immersive, punishing, creates gameplay.. what's not to like?
The_Blode

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas