Mine Pyre Hitbox Too Fat

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mine Pyre Hitbox Too Fat

Postby abt79 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:12 am

Literally posting this the second I encountered it because it’s extremely annoying.

Mine hole hitbox is less than 3x3 (something like 2x2ish) making it very reasonable to put a square palisade around it either with a 5x5 (placing the minehole and 3-wide prepforgate around it) or 4x4 (ctrl-shift placement offsetting to fit in a pre-existing 2wide gate palibox)

Now you’re forced to make a larger pali to protect the pyre, since its hitbox doesn’t allow placement of 3wide gate palis. I havent checked but I assume the hitbox is one of those shitty octagons, and the outermost rocks prevent building of even a 5x5 box around it.

Make it smaller, there’s no way this is intended. Mine pyres have to be protected since they’re just sitting there for SEVEN DAYS and having to make a massive pali that’s bigger than it needs to be for the eventual minehole is dumb
abt79

Re: Mine Pyre Hitbox Too Fat

Postby Vigilance » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:47 am

bad suggestion. mine pyre should be larger than the hole, visually and gameplay-wise. if you are choking your minehole with palis ur a tard, give yourself some buffer room.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:20 am

Matches the size of the minehole, I think.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby abt79 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:55 pm

jorb wrote:Matches the size of the minehole

Hah. Nope!

Exhibit A: Minehole fits in 5x5, 3 wide gate fence

Exhibit B: Minehole can be made to fit in a 4x4, 2 wide gate fence

Exhibit C: Mine Pyre cannot even fit into 5x5 fence

Exhibit D: Mine Hole and Mine Pyre Build Order Size Comparison
  • Mine Hole: Less than 3x3, doesn't even have the string square it's so small

• Mine Pyre: More than 3x3, nearly 4x4 when properly grid aligned

But you don't have to take my word for it. Go test it out for yourself! They are absolutely not the same size.

Unless you mean to imply that mineholes to L2 and lower (those that require a pyre) are a different object with a minepyre-sized hitbox. In which case, well no one would know that until tomorrow at the earliest anyways, but that is equally retarded.
abt79

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm

abt79 wrote:Exhibit A: Minehole fits in 5x5, 3 wide gate fence

Exhibit B: Minehole can be made to fit in a 4x4, 2 wide gate fence

Why would you do this to yourself? You'd get stuck every single time you climb back up.
VDZ

Postby abt79 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:15 pm

VDZ wrote:Why would you do this to yourself? You'd get stuck every single time you climb back up.

What are you talking about?

You don’t ever climb back up. Everyone builds a locked pali around their minehole with the “outside” of the gate facing inwards to the minehole so intruders can’t climb up it into their base without a masterkey. Just like any other outward-facing pali, you’re only coming from the other side into the minehole, then hearthing to get back up. The ladder being on the gate-side allows you to not get stuck so long as you leave the gate open (and some people gate all four sides instead of just one) but there’s no real reason to do that anyways when you can just hearth fire travel to get back to the other side.

Do you understand how palisades work? Or mine hole security?

Yay, another “forum-bound hermits who only play the game in theory tell people who actually play it in practice what they’re doing ‘wrong’”
abt79

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:57 pm

abt79 wrote:
VDZ wrote:Why would you do this to yourself? You'd get stuck every single time you climb back up.

What are you talking about?

You don’t ever climb back up. Everyone builds a locked pali around their minehole with the “outside” of the gate facing inwards to the minehole so intruders can’t climb up it into their base without a masterkey. Just like any other outward-facing pali, you’re only coming from the other side into the minehole, then hearthing to get back up. The ladder being on the gate-side allows you to not get stuck so long as you leave the gate open (and some people gate all four sides instead of just one) but there’s no real reason to do that anyways when you can just hearth fire travel to get back to the other side.

Do you understand how palisades work? Or mine hole security?

Yay, another “forum-bound hermits who only play the game in theory tell people who actually play it in practice what they’re doing ‘wrong’”

That was true before Vgates, not anymore. Plenty of people, factions included, use minehole facing Vgates that let you come up/down.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby abt79 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 pm

Sevenless wrote:That was true before Vgates, not anymore. Plenty of people, factions included, use minehole facing Vgates that let you come up/down.

Even in a 4x4 box you get placed ‘inside’ the minehole object and can walk to, open, and leave the gate. It’s relatively difficult to get stuck as he’s describing
abt79

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:43 pm

abt79 wrote:
Sevenless wrote:That was true before Vgates, not anymore. Plenty of people, factions included, use minehole facing Vgates that let you come up/down.

Even in a 4x4 box you get placed ‘inside’ the minehole object and can walk to, open, and leave the gate. It’s relatively difficult to get stuck as he’s describing

Is that new? My experience with tightly packed mineholes is that you just get thrown into the palisade and can't move, only go back into the minehole. But it's been a while since I just started building my palisades bigger than my mineholes.
VDZ

Postby Vigilance » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 am

abt79 wrote:Yay, another “forum-bound hermits who only play the game in theory tell people who actually play it in practice what they’re doing ‘wrong’”

Hi, I'm an extreme-hours-per-day tier miner who has played in a couple faction villages in my time-- smooshing your fucking minehole in a 2x2 is not as big of a deal as you are painting it to be, and I personally hate that shit because it makes them a nauseating one way trip down.
VDZ wrote:*forum-bound hermit who only plays the game in theory*

When you pop out in to a 2x2 your cart auto-stucks and you are placed in the direct center of the minehole, iirc. It's a click-hell I've had to endure in two separate groups that annoyed me enough that I always plan a larger compartment for my mineholes now.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas