WildGrub Expansion & Early Food

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

WildGrub Expansion & Early Food

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:45 pm

Now that the early game is a tad longer for most people and satiations stick around for longer. A lot of the foods that would be available after a short time become available a bit later. To mitigate this situation I humbly suggest that the early world food list be expanded.

Caterpillars are a well known edible bug, could be a spring-specific insect.

Haven needs more beatles. Staghorns as well as many other types are eaten in many cultures.

Cicadas are eaten in many cultures, would make a very fun addition to the game. Obnoxious creatures you can pluck from trees.

Tree Frogs for a frog alternative?

Termite mounds, similar to ant mounds but without having to battle anything.

Moths and butterflies are also popular edible bugs.

Non-deadly snakes? More lizards? Newts? Minnows?

Wild onions, more wild herbs, expanded uses for existing plants (clover and dandelion as edible?)

Lots of options here. Lots of room to expand and add some unique recipes for unique creepies and crawlies.Would love to see some less perc-focused early foods, maybe some STR stuff? maybe some CON stuff? Maybe some interaction with drying racks, smokers, cauldrons?

Bugs of all kinds should have a chance to spawn in mirkwood logs at regular intervals. I see no reason why this shouldn't be a reliable, farmable method. Maybe the location of the mirkwood could be relevant too. Different bugs in swamps, caves, etc.

Option to shake a bush? Bug spawns when lifting rocks and logs like Salem?

MORE BUG IMMERSION PLEASE
Zentetsuken

Re: WildGrub Expansion & Early Food

Postby linkfanpc » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:Moths and butterflies are also popular edible bugs.

Most have poisonous compounds in their wings as far as i've always been told, i've never heard of anyone eating butterflies. I mean wouldn't the paint stuff be awful in your mouth?

+1 to everything else though this is supposed to be a survival game and we have very little bear grylls style insect food.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:34 pm

linkfanpc wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:Moths and butterflies are also popular edible bugs.

Most have poisonous compounds in their wings as far as i've always been told, i've never heard of anyone eating butterflies. I mean wouldn't the paint stuff be awful in your mouth?

+1 to everything else though this is supposed to be a survival game and we have very little bear grylls style insect food.

I duno man, my "what bugs people eat" knowledge is pretty limited, I just did a google search and wikpedia says people really do be eatin butterflies a lot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insects_as_food
Zentetsuken

Postby Tamalak » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:01 pm

There is a ton of early game food especially when you get to fishing
Tamalak

Postby Epidj » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Very much agree on the Wild Onions though, Onions lock so many recipes and you cant even eat the few you grow in the early weeks because you need to replant them.
Spring Onions or something.
Maybe they grow in Patches like River Pearl Mussels but be quite rare. so IF you find them you can go "Dang thats gonna be a great meal"

Also would make those recipes available for Nomad playstyle.
Last edited by Epidj on Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epidj

Postby Procne » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:49 pm

I don't have issue with the amount of early world food. Over the last few years the available early options have been greatly expanded. My problem is that almost all of it gives perc
Procne

Postby Zampfeo » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:55 pm

Zampfeo

Postby KallexLex » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:45 am

I'm actually really surprised that dandelion isn't already used as "salad greens" the same way nettles are in game. Dandelions have always been perfectly edible in all capacities, and in some cases in history, medicinal, even.
KallexLex

Return to Critique & Ideas