Seasons, Rain, and buffs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Seasons, Rain, and buffs

Postby Gacrux » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:53 pm

As I appreciate the immersion that J-Lo have been working towards I had some ideas for several concepts that I feel would be small but give significance to the existing gameplay loop.

Seasonal Buffs - Similar to the realm buffs but small passives that makes seasons more impactful

Spring: Consume less stamina when running and passive bonus to exploration
Summer: Gain passive bonus to survival and increased speed of drying racks
Autumn: Gain passive bonus to perception and pigs(or any grazing animals maybe?) require less feed
Winter: Gain passive bonus to Lore and domesticated animals give more meat/fat yield

Rain - This could be impactful in conjunction with rain and other weather types.

Spring: Increased chance for floral curios and foragables to spawn and natural (non character planted) Fruit-bearing bushes to replenish faster.
Summer: Increased chance for insects and small critters to spawn
Autumn: Increased chance for Mushrooms and sea/river-based foragables/curios
Winter: More snow and Ice based curios(sea ice specifically perhaps adding sea ice to make curios that degrade), Increased chance for fishing and finding yesteryear's items

I also wanted to mention the current prefixes for items as I think theres a idea there.

Example: Yesteryear... sizzling, smoked, ect

These could be prefixes that can be "attached" to specific items in categories that give specific bonuses either to food items or to foragables/animals/curios.

Animals could gain prefixes such as "starved", "wellfed", or "fattened" (if slaughtered in the winter)
Gacrux

Re: Seasons, Rain, and buffs

Postby sMartins » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:46 pm

For sure something to think about.

About seasons, RN now they are still in a raw state, i Will focus on expand on them aiming to have a Fair duration, where each One Will have it's own gameplay.... Only then your suggestions would nicely take Place.

RN it's basically Just Summer as usual.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:14 pm

I think it's worth remembering: Buffs, not penalties! Even if a buff is indirectly a penalty (+10% growth speed in spring could also mechanically be -10% growth in fall/summer), the psychology of players receives things worded as buffs better.

The classic "rested XP" in WoW example. Even if it's -50% XP after your first X hours of playing, wording it as +100% xp for your first X hours made players like it instead of hate it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Gacrux » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 am

Sevenless wrote:I think it's worth remembering: Buffs, not penalties! Even if a buff is indirectly a penalty (+10% growth speed in spring could also mechanically be -10% growth in fall/summer), the psychology of players receives things worded as buffs better.

The classic "rested XP" in WoW example. Even if it's -50% XP after your first X hours of playing, wording it as +100% xp for your first X hours made players like it instead of hate it.

Certainly there would be some tuning regarding the verbiage used. I think it would help to avoid "buffs" as well I think its just easier when providing description to get my point across.
Gacrux

Postby Gacrux » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:39 am

sMartins wrote:For sure something to think about.

About seasons, RN now they are still in a raw state, i Will focus on expand on them aiming to have a Fair duration, where each One Will have it's own gameplay.... Only then your suggestions would nicely take Place.

RN it's basically Just Summer as usual.

yeah It would be nice to have season not be a particular detriment especially with the nuances pertaining to food ect
Gacrux

Postby Darruin » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:21 am

Also you should be able to hear when it's raining and you're in a house, and spiders/insects should have a chance to spawn in there during such a time.
Darruin

Postby Gacrux » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:59 am

Darruin wrote:Also you should be able to hear when it's raining and you're in a house, and spiders/insects should have a chance to spawn in there during such a time.

He could tie an experience to spiders in a house, maybe have a chance to get a itsy bitsy, cobweb, or the crafted combined curio
Gacrux

Postby Gacrux » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:20 pm

Circling back around to this as it seems things similar to it have been implemented.

It would still would be a neat idea for items and animals to have the aforementioned prefixes applicable and carry a universal use respectfully.

Food:
"Sizzled" = FEP boost
"Seasoned"
"Peppered"
"Boiled"
"Buttered"

Animals:
"Fattened" = High chance for fat cuts when butchering domesticated animals
"Well Fed" = Higher yields of meat when butchering domesticated animals
"Starved" = Reduced yields of meat, memories of pain when they are returned to normal status(?)
Gacrux

Return to Critique & Ideas