Ability to push carts

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Ability to push carts

Postby Zyean » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:19 am

Title, sometimes it's annoying you get stuck in a mine and you have to either port, or have a second character move the cart, also would be nice to be able to push carts full of stuff against your wall
Zyean

Re: Ability to push carts

Postby Reiber » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:49 am

Zyean wrote:Title, sometimes it's annoying you get stuck in a mine and you have to either port, or have a second character move the cart, also would be nice to be able to push carts full of stuff against your wall

+1 was stuck in multiple antdungeons this world, and had too drag myself out with an alt
Reiber

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:44 pm

If equipping a cart gets locked behind a flower menu I'm koing your character in your sleep and putting a rat in your inventory
DDDsDD999

Postby Liss12 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Zyean wrote:Title, sometimes it's annoying you get stuck in a mine and you have to either port, or have a second character move the cart, also would be nice to be able to push carts full of stuff against your wall

It would be nice if carts were liftable, granted you would walk abysmally slow no matter how strong your character is. Being completely stuck and having to teleport because you cant push cart you pulled just second ago is a sokoban level bullshit.
Liss12

Postby vatas » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:36 pm

Liss12 wrote:

It would be nice if carts were liftable, granted you would walk abysmally slow no matter how strong your character is. Being completely stuck and having to teleport because you cant push cart you pulled just second ago is a sokoban level bullshit.

Problem is, you could pull one cart and lift the other. Trying to solve this by making only empty cart liftable, would bring back the OP problem if you've gotten yourself stuck with cart that has any cargo.

Other "easy" solution would be to simply give "Push" -action a secondary function to be used on carts, but I'm not sure if that's optimal solution since it's described solely as a PvP action.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Liss12 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:52 pm

vatas wrote:
Liss12 wrote:

Problem is, you could pull one cart and lift the other. Trying to solve this by making only empty cart liftable, would bring back the OP problem if you've gotten yourself stuck with cart that has any cargo.

Other "easy" solution would be to simply give "Push" -action a secondary function to be used on carts, but I'm not sure if that's optimal solution since it's described solely as a PvP action.

This isn't a problem if transporting 2 carts would be much slower than pulling them as usually one after another. Like 3 tiles per minute. There still could be funky interactions like lifting cart while on a rowboat but im sure there can be a workaround.

Most elegant solution is to make carts both pullable and pushable like a wheelbarrow depending of player's location relative to the cart but im not sure it is possible to implement without too much hussle.
Liss12

Postby maze » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:56 pm

WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:33 pm

Just make it so only empty carts can be lifted.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Liss12 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:43 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:Just make it so only empty carts can be lifted.

As already mentioned before it defeats the purpose of liftable carts. If you are already blocked by cart chances are you have enough room to fully unload and lift it arent very high.
Liss12

Postby vatas » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 am

Liss12 wrote:Other "easy" solution would be to simply give "Push" -action a secondary function to be used on carts, but I'm not sure if that's optimal solution since it's described solely as a PvP action.

This isn't a problem if transporting 2 carts would be much slower than pulling them as usually one after another. Like 3 tiles per minute. There still could be funky interactions like lifting cart while on a rowboat but im sure there can be a workaround[/quote]

What I was thinking, but neglected to mention, was to simply pull one fully loaded cart while lifting another fully loaded cart. Then you simply travel to your hearth fire.

It's already a common strategy to travel to hq water node in a rowboat with axe and saw, build cart and 8 barrels, fill up the barrels, load them in cart and boat, pull cart and lift boat, then TP home.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas