Dismantling palisades

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Dismantling palisades

Postby Mr_Bober » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:45 pm

THE IDEA
There needs to be a way to destroy your own palisade without requiring a wrecking ball or siege engine, in order to allow base redesign without the risk of exposing everything you own.

WHAT ISSUE WOULD THIS SOLVE
The current system is using wrecking balls. Since the cascading is random, those can be very efficient or very inefficient. It's impossible to know how long it's going to take you to destroy a wall, since other than the 24h settling time you have no clue if you're going to destroy 1 tile or 30.
The system is inaccurate, somewhat expensive (if you want to speed it up by making multiple wrecking balls) and can lead to serious security issues if the cascading effect goes too far.

We all like having a village that doesn't look like shit, and having old pieces of palisades that you can't destroy because it's unsafe to do so really sucks.

WHAT COULD SOLVE THE ISSUE:
The easy way out would be to allow village owners (and heartlings with full permissions) to simply destroy a palisade wall, without cascading effects, by using a pickaxe or sledge hammer. This might lead in rare cases to griefing though.
My idea is inspired by the mine pyre and the scaffolding: add a new item, similar to the mine pyre but only 1x1 in size. The item has to be built facing the palisade wall and will burn for X hours (I'd suggest 36 or 48 hours). After such time has elapsed the palisade wall adjacent to it will become destabilised (aka can be destroyed by hand). This system will not cause cascading effects.
By making the item cheap (like the mine pyre) and small (1x1 or 1x2), players would be able to build several of them at once and get rid of old palisades within a couple of days.

This item could even be linked to the Government menu, meaning it can only be used by lawspeaker and those with building permissions in a Village. This would help to avoid griefing, as well as make it unviable as a siege mechanism.

(I guess it could work for personal claims too, but in that case it would probably work for sieging too, and that would be super lame...)
Mr_Bober

Return to Critique & Ideas