Hunger and death

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hunger and death

Postby telum12 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:12 pm

Last world, the meta was to eat salt all day to stay at 300% FEP bonus. Since salt was nerfed and some mild anti-botting mechanism was placed, this is no longer something people bother with. (These anti-botting mechanisms would not prevent botting if salt was still OP, or is buffed more, by the way.)

This world, the meta of eating is like this:
- Eat until your hunger bar is shit
- Drown yourself or drink an alchemy pot that kills you
- Inherit, burial, do numens
- Continue eating since you've an empty hunger bar now

This is not an exaggeration. The best-statted people in the world right now have done this multiple times so far. The people who were killed during PVP often have higher stats than those who didn't, especially if they were killed around table or food upgrades.

Not only is this an unfun mechanic, but competing against people doing this for stats requires you to have dozens of people grinding food for you or good bot setups for infinite food.

There needs to be a mechanic which allows you to continue eating without killing yourself, or some form of nerf that makes killing yourself not viable.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Re: Hunger and death

Postby waga » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:15 pm

Wouldn't make the hunger not reset to 0 but x% completely solve the issue?
waga

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:33 pm

It's not the hunger bar that's causing this, it's how inheritance works. You eat before inheriting:

-Eat to 500 stat.
-Suicide, inherit base 15%.
-Now at 75 stats, much easier to FEP up, eat until 500 again.
-Bury body, skull, do numen stuff, get the missing 45% of your old stats (225) added to your current stats for a total of 500+225 = 725 stats.

Eating 75>500 is much much easier than eating 500>725. Hunger reset isn't super important, although helpful. Satiations are the main thing holding back power eating atm. Of course, when you suicide you'll have better infrastructure to manage satiations and better power food, so it's much faster to eat than it was the first time. Numbers are made up, I'm not actually sure what the best ranges are optimally for this.

At least dying isn't the end for you this world as a faction fighter? Pretty sure death is lenient in FEP sense for that reason.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby sMartins » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:56 pm

What about just stopping the nonsense of the "La Grande Bouffe" .... just hedonism .... add Vomit!
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Reiber » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:51 pm

Sevenless wrote:It's not the hunger bar that's causing this, it's how inheritance works. You eat before inheriting:

-Eat to 500 stat.
-Suicide, inherit base 15%.
-Now at 75 stats, much easier to FEP up, eat until 500 again.
-Bury body, skull, do numen stuff, get the missing 45% of your old stats (225) added to your current stats for a total of 500+225 = 725 stats.

Eating 75>500 is much much easier than eating 500>725. Hunger reset isn't super important, although helpful. Satiations are the main thing holding back power eating atm. Of course, when you suicide you'll have better infrastructure to manage satiations and better power food, so it's much faster to eat than it was the first time. Numbers are made up, I'm not actually sure what the best ranges are optimally for this.

At least dying isn't the end for you this world as a faction fighter? Pretty sure death is lenient in FEP sense for that reason.

pretty sure this isnt true, if you exeed the stats you had before dieing you wont get stats from inheritance,
at least thats how death worked for the guy in oure village,
you eat untill your hunger is crap. die, regain 65% of your stats, and have 0hunger again, allowing you to effectively gain an 65% statincrease per death.
Reiber

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:25 am

+1 to op

Sevenless wrote:

If you're going to be this egregiously wrong about literally everything you say maybe phrase things as a question and post here: viewforum.php?f=42
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:08 pm

Sevenless wrote:

Uh oh stinky dumb dumb and wrong
DDDsDD999

Postby WowGain » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Massive +1, I was seriously hoping this was going to be fixed in the update after I had ensured devs were aware of this absolutely braindead interaction. There should be no world where you are INCENTIVIZED to kill yourself to get better at the game. Haven and Hearth isn't a fucking roguelike.
Just make inheriting a character remove a % of your hunger but not all of it.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Liss12 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:41 pm

WowGain wrote:Massive +1, I was seriously hoping this was going to be fixed in the update after I had ensured devs were aware of this absolutely braindead interaction. There should be no world where you are INCENTIVIZED to kill yourself to get better at the game. Haven and Hearth isn't a fucking roguelike.

The problem is they can't do it now since some people alrady took advantage of this braindead interaction. Competitive folk will go batshit if jorb patch it out before they could ramp up army of fighting alts.
Liss12

Postby jock » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:53 pm

Liss12 wrote:
WowGain wrote:Massive +1, I was seriously hoping this was going to be fixed in the update after I had ensured devs were aware of this absolutely braindead interaction. There should be no world where you are INCENTIVIZED to kill yourself to get better at the game. Haven and Hearth isn't a fucking roguelike.

The problem is they can't do it now since some people alrady took advantage of this braindead interaction. Competitive folk will go batshit if jorb patch it out before they could ramp up army of fighting alts.

I'm sure the devs have tracking for sorta thing right ;)
jock

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas