Hunger and death

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Hunger and death

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Liss12 wrote:The problem is they can't do it now since some people alrady took advantage of this braindead interaction. Competitive folk will go batshit if jorb patch it out before they could ramp up army of fighting alts.

This take gets shared all the time here, and Jorbtar have even 1:1 parroted it 100 times, but during the entire time I've played there hasn't been a world without changes that have invalidated prior character progression.

In world 10 they randomly made it so having higher UA made you weaker.
In world 10 scholar got added and troll went from like 7k to 13k in a week because it further broke contemplate.
In world 10 they randomly buffed the shit out of archery w/ ranger bows making it the dominant (by far) form of combat

In world 11 they randomly made it so having con higher than 10 made you weaker.
In world 11 they nerfed the shit out of kebab after it being the only good food for the first 1/2 weeks of the world.

In world 12 they BUFFED THE SHIT out of archery to an insanely broken state because a non-PVPer (jordan coles) complained he couldn't shoot people in a rowboat.
In world 12 they nerfed the shit out of spears after a lot of people already went pure MC.
In world 12 after pepper cure for alchemy got the shit abused out of it for 1/2 weeks it got nerfed into the ground.

In world 13 they randomly buffed the damage of swords by 300% out of the blue when no PVPer ever asked for that.
In world 13 halfway through after the tryhard meta had been spam ancient roots to heal bum burn & pepper everything they nerfed it into uselessness.

In world 14 they tried changing the defense weight of shield up in some weird way that actually did nothing, but I mean, they were trying to.

Literally just change the bits of the game that are bad. Early world stat advantage is pretty transient anyway.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Liss12 wrote:The problem is they can't do it now since some people alrady took advantage of this braindead interaction. Competitive folk will go batshit if jorb patch it out before they could ramp up army of fighting alts.

haha surely the way to go is to not do anything because some people did it already :roll:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Zampfeo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:01 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Liss12 wrote:

Eternal alpha blah blah blah. Better to change these things now than risk Jorbtar forgetting about it come W15. Besides, I'm sure these random changes to the meta excite competitive players rather than annoy them.
Zampfeo

Postby DonVelD » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:08 pm

Zampfeo wrote:Besides, I'm sure these random changes to the meta excite competitive players rather than annoy them.

Not really, do you think those changes that Snail listed are enjoyable?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:12 pm

Zampfeo wrote:random changes to the meta excite competitive players rather than annoy them.

Not claiming to be competitive, but the RANDOM changes to the meta that occur all the time are really annoying.
The random changes in conjunction with using not wanting to change metas people have already exploited as an excuse to leave in an egregiously unfun things makes me want to kms
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Liss12 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Calm down guys i personally dont agree this is right, i just pointed out this is Jorb's usual reasoning.
Liss12

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:19 pm

Liss12 wrote:Calm down

(I don't actually mind that much, but a better hunger system would be nice in general :c)
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:01 pm

DonVelD wrote:
Zampfeo wrote:Besides, I'm sure these random changes to the meta excite competitive players rather than annoy them.

I'd argue the bumburn cure nerf means less people feel forced to do alchemy, and less autism bots for pepper were required.

Net win there, bum burn should just be a debuff tho, not a fun way to kill alts
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby telum12 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Sevenless wrote:
DonVelD wrote:

I'd argue the bumburn cure nerf means less people feel forced to do alchemy, and less autism bots for pepper were required.

Net win there, bum burn should just be a debuff tho, not a fun way to kill alts

TBH all this shit like truffles, pepper and salt should just be removed. The only way to take advantage of it in any meaningful way has always required bots or the factions who have scores of minions doing shit for them. This is a larger issue with the FEP system in general though, and probably deserves its on C&I thread.

The larger issue we should focus on is that the current meta incentivizes killing yourself, which is absurd in and of itself, ignoring the high barrier of entry w.r.t how much food you need to do this effectively.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:31 pm

telum12 wrote:TBH all this shit like truffles, pepper and salt should just be removed. The only way to take advantage of it in any meaningful way has always required bots or the factions who have scores of minions doing shit for them. This is a larger issue with the FEP system in general though, and probably deserves its on C&I thread.

The larger issue we should focus on is that the current meta incentivizes killing yourself, which is absurd in and of itself, ignoring the high barrier of entry w.r.t how much food you need to do this effectively.

How much do minmax stat titans actually impact the game in a month? The equalization formulas are really generous, do you have to do this silly strat to be competitive?

The reason they can do this is due to mechanics that are supposed to lessen the blow of dying. Remove the mechanics behind this strat, and dying will suck considerably more.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas