taming wolves (winter content)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: taming wolves (winter content)

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:06 pm

The winter-exclusive stuff seems pretty convoluted. Just let us tame wolves like any other animal then leash them to a dog kennel object. Dead small creatures will passively appear in the dog kennel. No weird interactions or AI needed. Should be much easier to implement than anything else that gets suggested.
Zampfeo

Postby Reiber » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:11 pm

xzo wrote:guys take a step back on thinking about balance and things and think of two points

1- it would take whole winter to tame a wolf, breed wolves would be weak and more so larpy, pups could play toys in the garden or do some random stuff, piss into gardeners stuff...
2- wolf can die. and then its dead, you can use it for meat.

even if you could use wolf for pvp, which I do believe would be a case, your wolf could get killed so you would have to be careful about how you use it

just to clear this up . since anyof you dont get why this versuin of the idea is especially bad.

1. it takes whole winter to tame any amount of wolves,
so you could run down your local sprucecaps with 15 wolves. wich are faster than players, and just bodyblock them intoo oblivion
in the meantime, an developed player with competetive pvp gear can just ignore an bear while fighting, your they dont even need to care about your wolve for the half of an minimap you can run before you realise your shit at running.

2. people wouldnt care about wolves, either they have the capavilitys to sent litteral swarms at you.
or the wolf dies 3 days after spring starts-

and thats just the glaring problems of your itteration. there is an whole garbagebin of issues tamable fighting pets would have in this game,
Reiber

Postby xzo » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:18 pm

everyone who can put effort to tame 15 wolves should have a possibility to wreak havoc with them if he wishes so

look, you can throw your objections on every angle or you can play along, if you say its bad on every aspect you only show lack of imagination.
Rules could be placed to for instance reduce the speed of tamed wolfs, deny fast travel with them to make them more of a defensive creatures, you could have to feed them too when they are out so if you wished to go out with 15 you would also need to carry a cupboard of meat to keep them happy, optionally there could be a rule to only have one loyal tamed wolf or they would fight each-other by default

do yourself a favor and for next objection you have, exercise some solution finding
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby kaysaari » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:23 pm

What about tame dogs helping you dig out surveys? And a lil tail wag animation when they or you dig up a non-dirt/worm/tuber item? Would be cute I think.
kaysaari

Postby terechgracz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:58 pm

KitsuneG wrote:There so many exploits in pvp with that.. but i want dogs too, but it really should be overthink how it will be.

Can you me tell the world in which you could tame wolves? Because since W3 definitely you couldn't.
terechgracz

Postby terechgracz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm

It's hard for me to read all arguments said there. You are making up stories and not discuss OP's idea.
Everyone wants tamed pets. No one wants broke combat. So maybe just tell yes, I want tamed pets but please don't make them OP. And it's simple, in WoW hunter class is limited to 1 pet. Minecraft on the other hand has possibility to have infinite dogs at once, but they're shit at combat.

Also:
+1
terechgracz

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:39 am

*shows up to the meteor just to unleash like 200 dogs*
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Reiber » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 am

terechgracz wrote:It's hard for me to read all arguments said there. You are making up stories and not discuss OP's idea.
Everyone wants tamed pets. No one wants broke combat. So maybe just tell yes, I want tamed pets but please don't make them OP. And it's simple, in WoW hunter class is limited to 1 pet. Minecraft on the other hand has possibility to have infinite dogs at once, but they're shit at combat.

Also:
+1

the problem isnt that an wolf is op, the thing is the concept of any pet in combat is inherently op. at least in the way the game functions currently.

were not talking minecraft or wow here its haven we are talking about.
if your pet, would have 1hhp, no armour and would run not faster than an player could.
it would still be able too outspeed 90% of players that dont fight on an regular basis, and 0% of players that know how movement works. and would still be able to just simply bodyblock or at least slow down people(wich is precicely what doggs are used for irl)
if we limit active following dogs to 1 per person, people bring 15 nakedalts with dogs on multiclients.

and taming 15 animals of any sort isnt hard, think about any village and how they get goats,
step 1. you build an enclosure,
step 2. 15 people or alts bring home 40 wolves/goats a day in total, every day for winter then .
step 3. you cheese them over an bench/fieldcairn/cliff/water /with an horse whatever.

if dogs would be at all anyway relevant for pvp , factions not wanting too lose in pvp are obligated to spamm wolves
only way we ever get attackdogs that dont break pvp in mass, is if they are so slow, they only ever matter in hunting boar.
or movement, combat and ai gets all reworked from the ground up
Reiber

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 am

Just make it so dogs don't aggro people, only animals. They could still be useful for hunting as a counter to animals running away. Plus it'd be sweet LARP to breed dogs for colors and, if the devs can somehow pull it off, deformities like squished face or short legs so we could recreate monstrosities like pugs.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby terechgracz » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:06 am

Reiber wrote:the problem isnt that an wolf is op, the thing is the concept of any pet in combat is inherently op.

How? Imagine me getting slave spruce as pet. Is it inherently OP xD?

Reiber wrote:if your pet, would have 1hhp, no armour and would run not faster than an player could.
it would still be able too outspeed 90% of players that dont fight on an regular basis, and 0% of players that know how movement works. and would still be able to just simply bodyblock or at least slow down people(wich is precicely what doggs are used for irl)

Even my 80yr grandma would catch you.

Reiber wrote:if we limit active following dogs to 1 per person, people bring 15 nakedalts with dogs on multiclients.

It would be better to just feed 15 alts with sausages to 100 str and get 100 mc. And just write simple follower that only uses QB on opponents. It would still be better than animal's AI.

Reiber wrote:and taming 15 animals of any sort isnt hard, think about any village and how they get goats,
step 1. you build an enclosure,
step 2. 15 people or alts bring home 40 wolves/goats a day in total, every day for winter then .
step 3. you cheese them over an bench/fieldcairn/cliff/water /with an horse whatever.

No. You just fight it toe to toe...

Reiber wrote:if dogs would be at all anyway relevant for pvp , factions not wanting too lose in pvp are obligated to spamm wolves

Yes. Everybody is obligated to make metal too. What's the problem?
terechgracz

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas