Study Desk "Take Possession" -hourglass

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Study Desk "Take Possession" -hourglass

Postby vatas » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:00 am

When you select that, there NEEDS to be a hourglass to help prevent accidental miss-clicks.

Even if all characters are online and no harm is done, it can still be annoyance to make sure everyone owns their proper Desk. But if the character whose Desk was accidentally appropriated, they lose all the LP they'd gotten from curios on the table that had been finished/put into their Study without the miss-click.

vatas wrote:
loftar wrote:Isn't the flower menu enough confirmation given that your own study desk doesn't need a flower-menu interaction?

I just realized you're probably operating under the assumption that everybody just has one study desk inside their own house. But since you need to only ever interact with the desk when refilling it, this incentivizes creating a central curiosity storage and study desk area:

Massa wrote:
loftar wrote:Isn't the flower menu enough confirmation given that your own study desk doesn't need a flower-menu interaction?

everybody in my village has done this accidentally like 3 times

flower menus are really bad, they're activated by a bunch of shit and if you're just thumbing through shit fast or trying to find yours, you click the wrong one and bam, you have to get some dude to log into his alt to fix it

you would be surprised by the things you and jorb feel are issues that aren't, and the things that are!

vatas wrote:
MooCow wrote:The problem isn't that the flower menu is insufficient, the problem is the risk is too large. Accidentally claiming somebody's study table feels really bad. I don't like walking so close to that metaphorical cliff.

A player is never going to need to claim a study table more than once a day, so having then wait 5 seconds really has no negative side effect and it gives a decent amount of anxiety reduction for those that care

This. Risk of miss-clicking is actually kind of small, but the consequences of when it does happen can be far too severe. Of course best case scenario is that the person is online and you PM them to take the desk back, but what if they're on a week-long trip without Haven access and filled up their desk before that? Depending on world stage, you made them lose tens or hundreds of thousands of LP.
Last edited by vatas on Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Study Desk "Take Possession" -hourglass

Postby terechgracz » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:08 am

Yes.
terechgracz

Postby WowGain » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:34 am

+1, even if its just a half a second itd be nice to prevent misclicks
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby jock2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:26 pm

+1 yes
jock2

Postby overtyped » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:48 am

Bob Dole agree.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby kaysaari » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:38 am

+1
kaysaari

Postby Sephiron » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:39 am

+1 I'll feel less guilty about having my friend log in at 1am because i'm uncoordinated
Sephiron

BUMP

Postby vatas » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:41 am

BUMP
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby knightgabe13 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:44 am

I second this motion. Losing 12 hours or more of study time just because someone in a different time zone touched your study desk should not be a thing. Please give it a generous timer, too - similar to building a runestone, perhaps, so that the odds of this happening by accident will be virtually zero.
Check out HavenTune! :D
knightgabe13

Postby loftar » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:05 am

Isn't the flower menu enough confirmation given that your own study desk doesn't need a flower-menu interaction?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas