Mine layers could be better

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mine layers could be better

Postby overtyped » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:55 am

The layer system of 1-10 for a mine is nice, but I feel like there is a missed opportunity here. If you look at any random mine layer, would you be able to tell just by looking at it which layer you are on? You wouldn't because they are all the same.

I say there should be more reasons to go down besides getting higher quality ore! and I'll tell you what other reasons those could be!

Exploration and aesthetics, as well as unique monsters and herbs to plunder! Instead of everything being the same, wouldn't it be better if each level had it's own environmental vision, and with it's own kind of ecosystem and unique inhabitants that differentiates it?

Bob Dole says yes to environmental diversity in our underappreciated underworld!
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: Mine layers could be better

Postby Mr_Bober » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am

+1. Caves do need a lot more love.

One thing that drive me crazy is the fact that there's different "biomes" in caves (different colours), but nothing changes. No new feature, no nothing.
As you go down, you have no reason to keep using the upper levels most of the time.

Other than tower caps, which are needed for mineholes and someone might se them for supports, there's nothing new on lower levels. Mound and Gnome trees, just like the new mushrooms added recently don't seem to have any special use either.

I think more stuff should be localised to specific biomes / areas / levels, to make things interesting
Mr_Bober

Postby Reiber » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:32 pm

+1 good bob dole post
Reiber

Postby kaysaari » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:51 am

+1 and magma layer would be cool. Basalt-rich, more gems, maybe a really tough volcano-themed mob for late game players?
kaysaari

Postby Potjeh » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:50 am

Oh yeah, fire themed layer with imps and shit would be really cool.

Also, shame we got 10 layers, if it was 9 we could have layers themed according to Dante's Inferno.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Reiber » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:08 am

kaysaari wrote:+1 and magma layer would be cool. Basalt-rich, more gems, maybe a really tough volcano-themed mob for late game players?

dont know how im feeling about generic magma enemys.
maybe consider just changing existing mobs based on biome/layer? like magma-ish boreworms. with an chance to collect everglowing embers from skiinning them. or icetrolls. yada yada yada.

lusher cavebiomes could also act as an funnel to have foraging fall off less in the lategame. just make scaled up alternatives for some generic. yet usefull forageables. hide them behind timegates,and high requirements, so they dont take of value from there lightloving counterparts for as long as they would have kept up innitially.

but ofcource, dont add surperior versions of the "cool" stuff you can find outside
Reiber

Return to Critique & Ideas