Major Concept Update: Era Progression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Major Concept Update: Era Progression

Postby sMartins » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi there,

as we can see this new world is kinda cool, changes were minor but meaningfull.
Slowing down progression does mainly two things: allow us to enjoy what the game has to offer more and not just skipping ahead like a maniac or a consumer model, "human scale" enviroment ..... and boosting "desire".
Hey man, slow down! Good job.

(I'd like also some kind of obsidian cutting blade, to start with ... just to finally deviate from the first and better quality tool of the game: stone axe. But this is for another Topic)

Back in Topic: Era Progression

My vision is some kind of community events: total LP-XP earned, wonders we must build, Gods (dragons) or some obscure mechanic Jorb could come with .... those to unlock recipes, skills and technologies not avaible before.

Briefly example to give the idea:

QUEST FOR FIRE:

• Hearthlings at the start will not be able to unlock advanced skills and recipes and not even able to START a FIRE;
  • Add flashes on the screen during rain to indicate lighting; after rain stopped you can find some "Trees on fire", craft a primitive torch to keep the fire going and bring it with you .... plus battles for fire ;);
  • Some kind of Event must be accomplished; hearthlings discover fire and now you can light it for yourself, crafting a firebrand is now avaible.

This can be expanded so on and so on. You get the Idea.

Bronze Age, Iron Age ..... (Renaissance or even Illuminism :D) or some fictional ages.

TO NOTE:

Civilization progression could even strike back ... eg. if we choose the "event" must be a certain amount of LP to progress, to stay or even to strike back .... obscure ages will come!!! DO NOT TAKE IT for GRANTED what we Accomplished so far, NEVER!!!
(and not Simply striking back to the previous age ... but some kind of obscure shit :D )

What do you think?

Cheers
Last edited by sMartins on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Re: Major Concept Update: Era Progression

Postby Blueberry » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 pm

this actually sounds like fun. i'd go for it
berry nice to see you
Blueberry

Postby Zampfeo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:57 pm

The prevailing theory is that ancient humans "captured" naturally-occurring fire and kept it burning in their dwellings long before they were ever able to start one on their own.
Zampfeo

Postby The_Blode » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:38 pm

I like how we already have "Pre-realm" era and "post-realm" era locally, unlocking the realm chat for those within it.
I can't say I love the details you provided but there's an overall idea that could be neat
The_Blode

Postby sMartins » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Yeah It could be neat! More I think about it more I descend the Rabbit hole :D .
Can you Imagine Just the clothes we would wear passing through centuries, everybody in Fur during primitive era, bright colours in middle Age ... Thematic clothes, weapons, buildings and so on. Wow, mastodontic.
sMartins

Postby Sephiron » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:09 am

Wow what an interesting idea for a completely different game that's not haven and hearth.

How about this: A guided tutorial for new players that follows this concept but doesn't change anything about the game. Something like

The quest for fire:

"Look in the bottom right of your screen. You should see multiple buttons there. Start by clicking the "Adventure" button; This should give you a new set of options. Try building a campfire by selecting the "Build fire" button and placing your new construction in the world."

"Good! Now find a tree and collect some branches. You should only need about 7. Bring them to the newly placed construction post and click 'build'"

"Congratulations, you have placed your first fire. The only thing left to do would be to light it. Find the "Light fire" button under the adventure menu; A crafting menu should open. You can see that a firebrand requires 2 sticks to craft. Click build, and when the progress meter is full, right-click your unlit fire. Be careful, as your firebrand may burn out if held for too long. You should have 2 extra sticks to get you started"

But honestly at this point your cryptic yet original game idea is more likely to make it into hafen than a useful tutorial would
Sephiron

Postby sMartins » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:22 am

Sephiron wrote:But honestly at this point your cryptic yet original game idea is more likely to make it into hafen than a useful tutorial would

I don't think so man, relax.
You know there are many games where fire is central.

Watch this to chill out in case you haven't seen It already, truly a masterpiece of opening scene:

Dark souls opening
sMartins

Postby Sephiron » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 am

sMartins wrote:
Sephiron wrote:But honestly at this point your cryptic yet original game idea is more likely to make it into hafen than a useful tutorial would

I don't think so man, relax.
You know there are many games where fire is central.

Watch this to chill out in case you haven't seen It already, truly a masterpiece of opening scene:

Dark souls opening

Yea, dark souls is pretty dope lol. I'm not upset about your suggestion, I'm just saying it doesn't really fit with the current theme. It definitely is more aligned with what I thought Haven would have been maybe 5 years ago though. It kind of reminds me of the old 'Industry VS nature' system that used to be in the game. God I actually fucking miss that idea, they could have taken it so much farther than they did.
Sephiron

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:59 pm

Sephiron wrote:Wow what an interesting idea for a completely different game that's not haven and hearth.

This tbh. If you like era progression, I suggest checking out Caveman 2 Cosmos mod for Civ4. Nothing comes close to the detail offered in it.
Zampfeo

Postby The_Blode » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:51 pm

Sephiron wrote:Yea, dark souls is pretty dope lol. I'm not upset about your suggestion, I'm just saying it doesn't really fit with the current theme. It definitely is more aligned with what I thought Haven would have been maybe 5 years ago though. It kind of reminds me of the old 'Industry VS nature' system that used to be in the game. God I actually fucking miss that idea, they could have taken it so much farther than they did.

I 'member. I also liked the idea behind it, even if in practice I just worried about how much efficiency I was losing by not doing it ideally. That seems to be a common theme for me with this game though.
The_Blode

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas