About page is TERRIBLE

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

About page is TERRIBLE

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:12 am

https://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/about

Ctrl+F "pvp" delivers zero results. Haven has open PvP.

Ctrl+F "loot" delivers zero results. Haven is a "full loot" -game.

Ctrl+F "death" delivers zero results. Haven features permanent character death.

There's also Q&A page but it doesn't address first two points at all and only indirectly hints at the third. https://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/paq
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: About page is TERRIBLE

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:18 am

It's okay, the devs do zero advertising and the game is probably nearly impossible to find outside of direct word of mouth and suggestions from other players.

They even straight up lie in the "current status" section about how world resets work.

Current Status
Also, because some functionality is partially implemented, the persistent data in the game can be rather unstable. For example, we might have to remove the maps from time to time when we implement a new map generator.

:lol:
Zentetsuken

Postby jorb » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:05 pm

Will consider updating it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby vatas » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Current:
As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

My suggestion:
As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires. However, some players choose to play as bandits/barbarians. We not only consider this a valid playstyle, but avoiding/deterring these players a part of the game.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby DoctorCookie » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:45 pm

If you are going to make a suggestion, make it an accurate depiction. Your suggestion is more misleading than the original text.
DoctorCookie

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:If you are going to make a suggestion, make it an accurate depiction. Your suggestion is more misleading than the original text.

Gonna have to agree with you, it's not really what mid game haven feels like. Late game I wouldn't even know how to describe, it gets weirdly squirrely as people start losing attachment/interest to the world.

But mid game, we definitely freeze at the tribal clubbing each other stage. It never really goes past that, just realms conquering people whether they like it or not.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:04 pm

I'm at the bargaining state where I beg Jorb to improve it at least a little. I'm not a good bargainer.

Hopefully, he has a proper rewrite planned and will eventually get to it.

I appreciate all discussion about the topic.

vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:19 am

vatas wrote:I beg Jorb to improve *insert anything here* at least a little.

Our primary development direction is toward tree conversations object-controlled-objects.

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sephiron » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:40 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
vatas wrote:I beg Jorb to improve *insert anything here* at least a little.

Our primary development direction is toward tree conversations object-controlled-objects.
Making winter better

Sephiron

Postby vatas » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Sevenless wrote:
DoctorCookie wrote:If you are going to make a suggestion, make it an accurate depiction. Your suggestion is more misleading than the original text.

Gonna have to agree with you, it's not really what mid game haven feels like. Late game I wouldn't even know how to describe, it gets weirdly squirrely as people start losing attachment/interest to the world.

But mid game, we definitely freeze at the tribal clubbing each other stage. It never really goes past that, just realms conquering people whether they like it or not.

I agree it is not too accurate of a description, but how is it more misleading?

Then again, if Jorbtar wants to be honest, there should be explicit mention that "killing/pillaging other players, even/especially if they are new to the game" is only/main reason for many people to play this game?

vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas