Barns

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Barns

Postby Sephiron » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:25 am

I know this has been requested, but who's gonna stop me, the mods? :ugeek:
Barns are single-story constructions, something like 6x5, with a 6x5 interior. They require 60 boards, 20 logs, and 80 straw. Primary boards affect the exterior wall color, secondary affect the exterior roof color, primary blocks affect the door color, secondary blocks affect the frame colors, Straw is just for the floor inside. You cannot build most things inside, like cupboards, because of the soft floor; but objects placed inside will not decay like any other building. Inside, you can construct things like hitching posts, fences, and a new object: Hay bale, 2x3.
The hay bale is made with 50 straw + 100 wheat/barley seeds, and when placed will act as a grass whenever the food trough is empty. Radius is about half of a food trough. It will temporarily act as q10 grass for your pregnant mares, so as to not give any benefit for breeding, but your other animals will not lose quality from eating it while it is in range. One hay bale can feed all animals in range for 3 real-life days, after which it will be depleted/gone, however the timer does not start until the animals start eating it. How many days left is visually represented by the size of the hay bale pile, kind of like a stockpile.

Interacting with the hopper inside of the barn will give you access to a swill container like the trough, but inside you can fit 1000L of swill instead of 200. Animals inside the barn will eat from this until it is empty, thus It acts as a sort of cistern for swill :D

The idea being that you can take like a week or two off of haven without even worrying about your animal quality. It lets players who stop playing have something to maybe come back for, instead of dead/lowq animals, and makes cave ranching more viable (Supports playstyle variety), not even to mention the larp possibilities. This hurts literally nobody, so I expect this to be patched in before christmas :!:
Sephiron

Re: Barns

Postby Sevenless » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:19 pm

Overall, I don't think this is addressing the problems with "pausing" animals. The food consumption issue is unchanged: q10 fodder will actively damage breeders, recovering low fodder quality takes a while. And while unattractive, just building and placing 5 troughs for food is trivial, the problem is actually having that much food prepped ahead of time. Also after separating the male, you still need to keep checking the the pregnant breeders for 4 days to catch and remove any born males so your breeding cycle doesn't start again while you're away.

Really what we need is a barn that has the equivalent of liftable spots that truly freezes the animal in time. Maybe make it take a special item (like the hay bale) to "feed" them during the time freeze. But should be no products, no growth, no babies to compensate.

Side note: Effectively infinite q10 fodder is very useful btw. Truffle pigs, riding horses, and any quality % herds ignore fodder quality, so you could feed them that infinitely.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Barns

Postby Sephiron » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:09 am

However it's done, I don't really care as long as it makes animals easier to take care of without immediate daily maintenance. The hay bales I meant to only affect breeders while they are pregnant/eating from the hay bales, but their stats would return to what they were previously once they start eating regular swill. I'm not even sure if this is possible with the current engine, but I just feel like grinding seedq/strawq for breeding purposes would be too easy compared to traditional methods, and only really meant for hay bales to be better grass for the purpose of keeping them alive/without damaged quality, and the barn is for taking up less space than the average pen setup (having 1000 swill just ambiently in the room means you can fit more animals inside the space). And instead of acting like q10 grass for pregnant animals, just have it not affect the breedingq at all if the quality is above (If hay bale is 50q, and the animals are 40q, keep them at 40q. If the hay bale is 30q, hurt stats).
Sephiron

Return to Critique & Ideas