Hives should be able to store 144 charges instead of 50

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hives should be able to store 144 charges instead of 50

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=42401&p=556285#p556285

jorb wrote:Each time a crop increases a growth stage it checks for a beehive. If it finds one that beehive ticks up +1 (burst/use/call it what you want), and the time toward the next growth stage is reduced for the crop in question. If the beehive has been used 50 times it cannot be used again until it has regenerated. It regenerates on average 6 uses per hour.

(In case anyone's wondering, this post is old but I've confirmed the mechanics still work as described because of my stupid turnips)

There are many instances when players will plant more than 50 tiles of the same crop together (animal fodder requires 1000s of tiles). Basically all crops only tick 1 growth stage per day. Each hive can only pollinate 50 tiles in a burst, so it's 1 hive every other row of 25 tiles. Hives reach roughly 13 tiles in either direction this this is using their radius/charges about as effectively as possible.

This results in kind of silly looking bulk fields like this:

Letting hives store an entire 24hrs of production would mean I get to cut the number of hives in half and I think this looks a bit better:

Side note:

Also I think average player wildly misunderstands how beehives work and put way less hives down than they should if they want to fully pollinate their crops. With how big the radius is vs how few tiles within that radius it will actually pollinate it's not very intuitive.

Some kind of interface with the hive that gives feedback on how much it can pollinate is an option. Reducing the radius is something I absolutely don't want, but it would reduce what people expect from a hive. And the other possible answer would be higher tiers of beehives that have the same radius but pollinate more tiles.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Hives should be able to store 144 charges instead of 50

Postby pbbllt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:01 pm

This.

Or some kind of indicator that tells which crops will be covered in relation to the present skeps and amount of crops.

The game itself overall lacks any documentation whatsoever by overrelying on the whole "intuitive" and community approach.
pbbllt

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:06 pm

pbbllt wrote:"intuitive"

I look forward to a day where we achieve that much lol

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby algam » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Sevenless wrote:Also I think average player wildly misunderstands how beehives work and put way less hives down than they should if they want to fully pollinate their crops. With how big the radius is vs how few tiles within that radius it will actually pollinate it's not very intuitive.

My tactic : If at least a single crop remains behind the others from the same batch that means I need more hives there
algam

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:15 pm

algam wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Also I think average player wildly misunderstands how beehives work and put way less hives down than they should if they want to fully pollinate their crops. With how big the radius is vs how few tiles within that radius it will actually pollinate it's not very intuitive.

My tactic : If at least a single crop remains behind the others from the same batch that means I need more hives there

You'd think, but I don't think most players realize the entire field is supposed to pop at almost exactly the same time.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby lordgrunt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:25 pm

algam wrote:My tactic : If at least a single crop remains behind the others from the same batch that means I need more hives there

this.
and about the pic with a row of hives, i'd suggest fields of 10x40 on each side so you can fully plant from 2 held buckets.

+1 to higher tier of hives. but knowing devs it would be 1.3x1.3 tiles wide and unmovable. kek.
lordgrunt

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:00 pm

lordgrunt wrote:
algam wrote:My tactic : If at least a single crop remains behind the others from the same batch that means I need more hives there

this.
and about the pic with a row of hives, i'd suggest fields of 10x40 on each side so you can fully plant from 2 held buckets.

+1 to higher tier of hives. but knowing devs it would be 1.3x1.3 tiles wide and unmovable. kek.

If we're going that way, I'd vote for 10x50 so 4 fields is exactly 1 barrel of seeds to plant. Putting some extra seeds in your inventory covers the extra 10 tiles per field.

All preference of course, but the general issue of silly hives remains.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby stya » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:15 pm

Just remove the pollination limit, it's counter-intuitive and serves little to no purpose.

Limiting the wax/oney output/pollinated crop makes sense but bees don't go like nope we touched X flowers we need to wait another few hours :roll:
stya

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:54 pm

stya wrote:Just remove the pollination limit, it's counter-intuitive and serves little to no purpose.

Limiting the wax/oney output/pollinated crop makes sense but bees don't go like nope we touched X flowers we need to wait another few hours :roll:

I like hemp having a purpose personally, and I despise circle farms with a passion. Still not sure these are great arguments against pollination limits being removed though. Would have to rebalance how wax/honey works a bit but that's not the end of the world.

Other than tripping up beginners, the mechanic doesn't serve a purpose. Radius of hives can be tuned to achieve the hive to tile ratio that "feels" best and it would achieve the same result but in a simpler way.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas