Bring back boat speed

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Bring back boat speed

Postby pbbllt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:56 pm

Why was it even removed?

In previous world it was actually okay to travel across oceans to some distant lands in search of certain biomes, trees or even markets etc. but now it is unbearably long. Looking for something/checking reefs makes me marvel at how speed of the boat actually can affect my will to do so.

And I'm not even starting on how it works out with the "new and improved" cachalot spawning :v
pbbllt

Re: Bring back boat speed

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:10 pm

pbbllt wrote:Why was it even removed?

Slower boats had no way to escape ganks.

Could argue that base speed should be higher, or the buff from the kingdom could be larger though. Everyone faster is fair.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:43 pm

Sevenless wrote:
pbbllt wrote:Why was it even removed?

Slower boats had no way to escape ganks.

Note that ship quality does still have a benefit, it increases ship's hitpoint pool. This results in ability to last longer in High Seas and increased "tar mileage" as Tarsticks still repair 20% flat.

Because Haven is an open PvP game, there are lots of cool things like "being able to build a faster ship when your industry improves" that result in something like "Faction builds highest quality ship in the world. They are now faster than anyone else trying to flee from them or chase them."

Another offender has been Kicksled and Skis during winter, cool thing that casual player can use to travel during winter, but apparently made PvP fights "cancer" during Winter.

I'm sort of perma-noob when it comes to PvP, but IIRC main complaint was that every fighter now had a horse that doesn't run out of stamina and can't be spooked (Raw Hide spell.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby pbbllt » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm

Definitely need higher base speed in this one at least.

As always, because of loud minority, majority must suffer. :V
pbbllt

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:19 am

I like equal speed boats
One less tedious bullshit to grind/bot
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 am

Nightdawg wrote:I like equal speed boats
One less tedious bullshit to grind/bot

Yeah I think it's better, but I also wouldn't complain if they were say 10% faster at base. That'd be ok.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:52 am

Never really gave it a thought, but now that base speed is static, it should be rebalanced accordingly. Ships, in comparison to previous worlds, are now effectively all q0 when it comes to speed.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby WowGain » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:40 pm

vatas wrote:Another offender has been Kicksled and Skis during winter, cool thing that casual player can use to travel during winter, but apparently made PvP fights "cancer" during Winter.

I'm sort of perma-noob when it comes to PvP, but IIRC main complaint was that every fighter now had a horse that doesn't run out of stamina and can't be spooked (Raw Hide spell.)

skiis are cancer because they are a water check and nothing more

when two people come across each other and a chase begins, skiis being involved means that you can hand the W over to whoever has the most water 99% of the time. usually when you drink while running, you're slowed down slightly so you cant just spam the drink key over and over again constantly, but with skiis that doesnt happen so you just fatfinger ` over and over again to never leave speed 4 while anything that would've potentially switched up the dynamic of the chase (clickable gobs, speed buffs, rivers, etc) become irrelevant. It fucking sucks.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Return to Critique & Ideas