WWW catchup mechanic should not give crops lower Q than wild

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

WWW catchup mechanic should not give crops lower Q than wild

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:50 pm

In early world, as soon as crops start coming online much of the world's planted crops are sprucecaps planting Q1 WWWs. The "catchup" mechanic starts generating Q1 WWWs that you pick up ruining quite a large percentage of WWWs you pick up.

I just remember how annoying it is to not get your farming up fast enough to start foraging base Q crops before the Q1 wave starts.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: WWW catchup mechanic should not give crops lower Q than

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 am

+1

Not much more to say about this.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:07 pm

At some point late last world I got my trufflebot like 400-500 farming when topQ crops were around 600-650 and had it pick up WWWs while doing its regular thing and after running 24/7 for a few weeks it never got anything capped by its skill. I feel like it might be a bit too rare in general, especially considering the stat requirements
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

triple-RNG-gate

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Problem is that you have to "win" at RNG two three times in a row.

First you have to successfully roll for the mechanic to kick in the first place.

Second, you need to have the mechanic select a high quality crop and not a crap quality one. Assuming people with top quality crops don't make an entire minimap's worth of flax fields, chances are that you hit one with crap quality.

Third, the first two must have happened to a crop that actually propagates it's quality to other industries, ie. Flax or Hemp through plant fibres. Straw-producing crops do get honorable mention. (Straw Twine is only a generic string, requires multiple straw and has crafting softcap.) Other crops benefit industry-grind only through compost if they're higher than meat you can reliably acquire through hunting.

If you have Sprucecap standards, you might be able to cook nice food from q400 beetroots or turnips, but I'm assuming that with SnuggleSnail standards any food using either ingredient is "useless LARP food."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:At some point late last world I got my trufflebot like 400-500 farming when topQ crops were around 600-650 and had it pick up WWWs while doing its regular thing and after running 24/7 for a few weeks it never got anything capped by its skill. I feel like it might be a bit too rare in general, especially considering the stat requirements

Might be something to do with how the game calculates when to give a catch up crop. Endgame vs Earlygame have pretty different conditions, how they handle it could make the difference?

Feels like the system should have some preference towards giving top crops though from your example.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas