Extended Carpentry and other stuff

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Extended Carpentry and other stuff

Postby Otto_Ravensburg » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:40 pm

Hello everyone!
I haven’t posted a lot on forums, but played throughout several World wipes solo or in small groups for the first 1-2 months and finally in W14 I’ve noticed a thing that bothers me: almost every profession in the game has some kind of workplace, except carpenter. Yes, carpenters need to use herbalist tables to grow trees, but use only a pair of tools to actually craft stuff.

DISCLAIMER
All of the proposed components and stats are just an example.
I’m not a hardcore player and never rushed quality or tried to spiral it.
So I ask more experienced players to comment and suggest improvements or just tell me my ideas are crap :)
Some ideas listed below can be implemented separately, some tied with other stuff.

With that in mind….
Concerning (hobbits) carpentry:

Workbench
Simple table with set of tools for woodworking and leatherworking. Must be used to produce complex things of wood, leather and metal nuggets (?) like Bows, metal arrows, Saddlebags, Casting-Rod, Bagpipe, etc.
Set of tools (Toolbox, see below) must be used (or placed in Workbench inventory) to work on the workbench.
Construction: Board x4, Block of Wood x4, Bone Glue x2
Size: 1x2
Can be lifted: Yes
Repaired With: Board
Skill Required: Carpentry
Affects quality of crafted items.
reference

New items:
- Toolbox (bone or metal) - used in Workbench to make things. May have limited amount of uses like symbels for feasts. Craft (by hand/anvil): Board x1, Bone Glue x1, (Bone x4 / Metal nugget x4 (depends on whether Bone or Metal set of tools crafted) ). Size: 2x2. Recipe can be found under the “Tools” icon. Metal toolbox will provide speed boost to crafting speed on Workbench. Affects quality of crafted items. reference

- Wooden shaft - can be crafted on Workbench and replaces wooden bough/board/block in some recipes (for example, metal shovel will need 3x Wooden shaft instead 3x Blocks, or Ranger bow can use Yew (?) Wooden shaft instead of Bough). Crafting: 1x Board can be split into 2x Shafts. This can bring complexity and variability for already existing and upcoming items. Size: 1x3. Can be stacked up to 5. reference

- Traveler’s staff. Slots: 5L or 5R. Craft: Wooden shaft x4, Bone glue x2, Leather x2, Beautiful Dream x1. Can be gilded for Exploration, Lore and Psycho with gemstones. Boosts either walking speed or reduces stamina usage for running. Maybe can be developed into Shaman’s staff with bonuses for Psycho/Lore? reference

- Perfect Wooden Shaving (curiosity). Size: 1x1. Can be randomly obtained after crafting items with any form of Wood in recipe on a Workbench. LP/H ~ 200, Weight ~10, Study time ~1 day. Can be used as fuel, equivalent to a branch. reference

Events:
- Sawdust in hair. How to acquire: crafting items with any form of Wood in recipe on a Workbench. XP: 100-200. “You shake your head and see golden dust in the air in front of your eyes. You touch your hair and feel small curly sprouts among them.”

Other woodworking options:
Seasoning wood. Ability to season wooden boards for slight increase of Q. Some recipes can use specifically seasoned woods (for example, it can be used for ships). Seasoning shed can be either a separate building or seasoning cabinet can be integrated into Workbench.

There can be plenty of ideas and old crafting recipes reworked after or with those changes.
Other things I wanted to suggest but don’t want to create another topic:

Wigwam
With the introduction of Igloo and Primitive Tent I was wondering if we can get some sort of indian wigwam with inner/outer size similar to Igloo but also with folding mechanics like Primitive Tent has. It can be made of Prepared Animal Hide, Ropes and boards (or wooden shafts) - in this way it will be affordable almost right after World reset as opposed to Primitive tents that require Cloth and Wax which are deficit in the beginning.

Saddles
There are already a couple of topics about saddles, but with the request of Workbench I feel I need to bring this item to light again. We could have either separate Saddle + Saddlebags or Saddlebags integrated into some models of Saddles (Saddlebags replaced with “Heavy Saddle” or smth). Here some variants that we can have:
- Blanket - primitive thing, crafted from Cloth and Strings with no inventory
- Light saddle - crafted from Leather and Ropes, no inventory
- Heavy saddle - replaces Saddlebags with Saddle with inventory. Crafted from the same materials as Saddlebags with some extras.
Common thing for all saddles will be increasing horse’s pony power depending on a “model” - Blanket will provide small bonus, Light saddle will provide largest bonus and Heavy will be somewhere in between to compensate for the inner inventory space feature.
reference

New weapons. (Yes, I’ve read the “ top ten ideas you should stop posting new threads about” topic, but I have no intentions to suggest some exotic PowerSword3000, just some variety of existing things. And technically it’s not a new topic about adding weapons :) )
- Composite bow - woodless alternative to Hunter’s bow but slightly better in stats (Damage ~40). Recipe: Antlers (both Red and Reindeer are good) x2, Bone Glue x4, Leather x2, String x8
- Recurve bow - midground between Hunter’s and Ranger’s bows that will require no metals. Recipe: Wooden Shaft x4, Bone Glue x2, Leather x1, String x8
- Fine arrows - long-requested feathered arrows. Will have better stats then regular Metal arrow. Recipe: Wooden shaft (or tree bough as alternative) x1, Metal nugget x1, String x1 and Fine Feather x1
- Crossbow - meh. Probably can be crafted from hard metals and damage will depend on Agility less then on quality. just a reminder we don’t have any in the game.

Ceramic roof tiles - as a replacement for Thatching material.

That’s all for now. Sorry for longread.
Travel safely :)
Otto_Ravensburg

Re: Extended Carpentry and other stuff

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:15 pm

dude, do you want to overwhelm our developers for next 20 years?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby sMartins » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:58 am

I appreciate your passion, enthusiasm and effort you put into this thread.

A warm greeting
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Massa » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 am

one update they added a sausage made out of hedgehogs and like that was it
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby GarthBrooks » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:54 am

Otto_Ravensburg wrote:Hello everyone!
I haven’t posted a lot on forums, but played throughout several World wipes solo or in small groups for the first 1-2 months and finally in W14 I’ve noticed a thing that bothers me: almost every profession in the game has some kind of workplace, except carpenter. Yes, carpenters need to use herbalist tables to grow trees, but use only a pair of tools to actually craft stuff.

DISCLAIMER
All of the proposed components and stats are just an example.
I’m not a hardcore player and never rushed quality or tried to spiral it.
So I ask more experienced players to comment and suggest improvements or just tell me my ideas are crap :)
Some ideas listed below can be implemented separately, some tied with other stuff.

With that in mind….
Concerning (hobbits) carpentry:

Workbench
Simple table with set of tools for woodworking and leatherworking. Must be used to produce complex things of wood, leather and metal nuggets (?) like Bows, metal arrows, Saddlebags, Casting-Rod, Bagpipe, etc.
Set of tools (Toolbox, see below) must be used (or placed in Workbench inventory) to work on the workbench.
Construction: Board x4, Block of Wood x4, Bone Glue x2
Size: 1x2
Can be lifted: Yes
Repaired With: Board
Skill Required: Carpentry
Affects quality of crafted items.
reference

New items:
- Toolbox (bone or metal) - used in Workbench to make things. May have limited amount of uses like symbels for feasts. Craft (by hand/anvil): Board x1, Bone Glue x1, (Bone x4 / Metal nugget x4 (depends on whether Bone or Metal set of tools crafted) ). Size: 2x2. Recipe can be found under the “Tools” icon. Metal toolbox will provide speed boost to crafting speed on Workbench. Affects quality of crafted items. reference

- Wooden shaft - can be crafted on Workbench and replaces wooden bough/board/block in some recipes (for example, metal shovel will need 3x Wooden shaft instead 3x Blocks, or Ranger bow can use Yew (?) Wooden shaft instead of Bough). Crafting: 1x Board can be split into 2x Shafts. This can bring complexity and variability for already existing and upcoming items. Size: 1x3. Can be stacked up to 5. reference

- Traveler’s staff. Slots: 5L or 5R. Craft: Wooden shaft x4, Bone glue x2, Leather x2, Beautiful Dream x1. Can be gilded for Exploration, Lore and Psycho with gemstones. Boosts either walking speed or reduces stamina usage for running. Maybe can be developed into Shaman’s staff with bonuses for Psycho/Lore? reference

- Perfect Wooden Shaving (curiosity). Size: 1x1. Can be randomly obtained after crafting items with any form of Wood in recipe on a Workbench. LP/H ~ 200, Weight ~10, Study time ~1 day. Can be used as fuel, equivalent to a branch. reference

Events:
- Sawdust in hair. How to acquire: crafting items with any form of Wood in recipe on a Workbench. XP: 100-200. “You shake your head and see golden dust in the air in front of your eyes. You touch your hair and feel small curly sprouts among them.”

Other woodworking options:
Seasoning wood. Ability to season wooden boards for slight increase of Q. Some recipes can use specifically seasoned woods (for example, it can be used for ships). Seasoning shed can be either a separate building or seasoning cabinet can be integrated into Workbench.

There can be plenty of ideas and old crafting recipes reworked after or with those changes.
Other things I wanted to suggest but don’t want to create another topic:

Wigwam
With the introduction of Igloo and Primitive Tent I was wondering if we can get some sort of indian wigwam with inner/outer size similar to Igloo but also with folding mechanics like Primitive Tent has. It can be made of Prepared Animal Hide, Ropes and boards (or wooden shafts) - in this way it will be affordable almost right after World reset as opposed to Primitive tents that require Cloth and Wax which are deficit in the beginning.

Saddles
There are already a couple of topics about saddles, but with the request of Workbench I feel I need to bring this item to light again. We could have either separate Saddle + Saddlebags or Saddlebags integrated into some models of Saddles (Saddlebags replaced with “Heavy Saddle” or smth). Here some variants that we can have:
- Blanket - primitive thing, crafted from Cloth and Strings with no inventory
- Light saddle - crafted from Leather and Ropes, no inventory
- Heavy saddle - replaces Saddlebags with Saddle with inventory. Crafted from the same materials as Saddlebags with some extras.
Common thing for all saddles will be increasing horse’s pony power depending on a “model” - Blanket will provide small bonus, Light saddle will provide largest bonus and Heavy will be somewhere in between to compensate for the inner inventory space feature.
reference

New weapons. (Yes, I’ve read the “ top ten ideas you should stop posting new threads about” topic, but I have no intentions to suggest some exotic PowerSword3000, just some variety of existing things. And technically it’s not a new topic about adding weapons :) )
- Composite bow - woodless alternative to Hunter’s bow but slightly better in stats (Damage ~40). Recipe: Antlers (both Red and Reindeer are good) x2, Bone Glue x4, Leather x2, String x8 flappy bird game
- Recurve bow - midground between Hunter’s and Ranger’s bows that will require no metals. Recipe: Wooden Shaft x4, Bone Glue x2, Leather x1, String x8
- Fine arrows - long-requested feathered arrows. Will have better stats then regular Metal arrow. Recipe: Wooden shaft (or tree bough as alternative) x1, Metal nugget x1, String x1 and Fine Feather x1
- Crossbow - meh. Probably can be crafted from hard metals and damage will depend on Agility less then on quality. just a reminder we don’t have any in the game.

Ceramic roof tiles - as a replacement for Thatching material.

That’s all for now. Sorry for longread.
Travel safely :)

It's true that you don't post too many posts, but the way you share shows that you are a veteran member.
GarthBrooks

Return to Critique & Ideas