Animal spawn mechanic changes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Animal spawn mechanic changes

Postby TerraSleet » Thu May 04, 2023 6:05 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Normal game:
  • 500 goblin spawns scattered around
  • each goblin drops 2 items from the goblin loot table

Haven:
  • 500 goblin spawns scattered around
  • 499 goblins drop dogshit and there's no point in killing them at all
  • 1 goblin that spawns in a static spot every 15 minutes drops one of the most valuable resources in the game
  • "This encourages exploration", says the developer, as the players login/out next to the node every 15 minutes and never bother with any other goblins/locations

Well, it certainly "encourages exploration"... until players explore their way to the peak and there's no reason to ever leave it.

Perhaps the worst part of the current implementation is that trying to contest this static zone actively stops them from spawning, meaning if you find another group's mammoth spot you can just park a bunch of bots there logging on and off and deny it forever, or at least until someone shows up and plays whack-a-mole with the bots. Good lord that sounds insufferable
TerraSleet

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu May 04, 2023 6:16 pm

Legacy's animal level/civilization system was better
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Massa » Thu May 04, 2023 7:01 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:Legacy's animal level/civilization system was better

holy fucking BASED
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Massa » Thu May 04, 2023 7:02 pm

I thought about it some more and yeah complete randomization of animals would be better.

More gambling mechanics and I motherfucking mean it.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Nightdawg » Thu May 04, 2023 8:34 pm

Massa wrote:I thought about it some more and yeah complete randomization of animals would be better.

More gambling mechanics and I motherfucking mean it.

This game literally only uses RNG in the worst possible places, and refuses to use it in the only place it should be used

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Thu May 04, 2023 9:15 pm

Cant say that the quality nodes makes much sense to me, I imagine that the quality of an animal is how strong
and how much food it have eaten, its optimal age for being hunted etc, that makes an animals quality.
This means any animal can be good with the right conditions so the quality of an animal should be up for chance not "areas", in my opinion.

BUT

Animal habitat nodes would make more sense to me, some animals would only be found in certain areas, not just biomes.
For example areas that have bears can't have wolves at the same time, these 2 animals are avoiding each other's territory in real life.

So if you want to hunt something you would go to an area you know where it spawns more, mapping out where animals spawn would be fairly easy for anyone.
Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Postby Nightdawg » Thu May 04, 2023 9:44 pm

SlicingTheMoon wrote:Cant say that the quality nodes makes much sense to me, I imagine that the quality of an animal is how strong
and how much food it have eaten, its optimal age for being hunted etc, that makes an animals quality.
This means any animal can be good with the right conditions so the quality of an animal should be up for chance not "areas", in my opinion.

BUT

Animal habitat nodes would make more sense to me, some animals would only be found in certain areas, not just biomes.
For example areas that have bears can't have wolves at the same time, these 2 animals are avoiding each other's territory in real life.

So if you want to hunt something you would go to an area you know where it spawns more, mapping out where animals spawn would be fairly easy for anyone.

That's already literally how the spawn locations are determined.

We're talking strictly about the quality. One bear being q60 and another one being q400 in a specific spot you have to camp is just lame. Literally kills any reason for me to go exploring.
Nightdawg

Postby pawnchito » Sat May 06, 2023 7:37 am

wonder what the counterpoint is to all this valid af criticism.
pawnchito

Postby Nightdawg » Sat May 06, 2023 2:45 pm

pawnchito wrote:wonder what the counterpoint is to all this valid af criticism.

cAcOpHoNy
Nightdawg

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas