Soot Shovel

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Soot Shovel

Postby jock » Mon May 29, 2023 12:03 pm

A shovel made from hard metal bars x2 In a mould. (bars x3 + mould)/4

It is used on a kiln, oven, or smelter to "clean out" the leftover soot(ash)

Quality of ash = quality of fuel hard capped by shovel ql
The amount will be held up to 1kg collected based on how much fuel is burned over time. (1 full bar= 1 full load of ash)

With the recent nerf to firebrand due to botting being the only way to make reliable good ash from it.This adds a new better mechanic that everyone would benefit from and provide a good means to provide bulk ash and a new valuable tool to "soot" :D
jock

Re: Soot Shovel

Postby Massa » Mon May 29, 2023 3:37 pm

we can have nice things
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby vatas » Mon May 29, 2023 5:26 pm

"Ash from kilns etc." sounds like a decent idea. Hope it gets implemented similar to snow removal; instead of having a special snow plow, you have slightly obscure command to AoE shove snow with a regular shovel.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Kyrex » Tue May 30, 2023 12:05 am

+1
I like this idea

Perhaps even some kind of fireplace/&chimney for soot, by itself, rather than adding complexity to existing structures.

Either way, I like the concept.
ImageImageImage
Kyrex

Postby Teilur » Tue May 30, 2023 6:50 pm

This is exactly how ash making works in Wurm Online since 2017: to get a small amount of ash you just make some fire, to get a barrel of ash you just take the showel and clean your ovens and forges.
Teilur

Postby jock » Wed May 31, 2023 12:03 pm

Bump
jock

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:40 pm

The task of cleaning Ovens, Kilns, Tar Kiln, Bonfires, Smelters, Forges and/or Crucibles with a custom tool seems a bit extra. I don't really see an need for more ways to create ash, but if I were to add cleaning- I'd toss it into the leaf menu, click -> clean; like digging, the current shovel types or lack there of affects clean speed and ash quantity.

Although the firebrand change was rude to roll out mid world, the firebrand nerf was needed nonetheless.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby jock » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 pm

r0ck4ev3r wrote:The task of cleaning Ovens, Kilns, Tar Kiln, Bonfires, Smelters, Forges and/or Crucibles with a custom tool seems a bit extra. I don't really see an need for more ways to create ash, but if I were to add cleaning- I'd toss it into the leaf menu, click -> clean; like digging, the current shovel types or lack there of affects clean speed and ash quantity.

Although the firebrand change was rude to roll out mid world, the firebrand nerf was needed nonetheless.

Tool removes the need for leaf menu's these often are more annoying than helpful. If you don't think we need more ways to create ash you not the target audience for this mechanic as you wouldn't care about quality.

Firebrand was good for most players in the quality regard, the method of it was bad and pushed botting. This gives the same quality advantages without botting incentivisation.
jock

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:47 am

jock wrote:
r0ck4ev3r wrote:The task of cleaning Ovens, Kilns, Tar Kiln, Bonfires, Smelters, Forges and/or Crucibles with a custom tool seems a bit extra. I don't really see an need for more ways to create ash, but if I were to add cleaning- I'd toss it into the leaf menu, click -> clean; like digging, the current shovel types or lack there of affects clean speed and ash quantity.

Tool removes the need for leaf menu's these often are more annoying than helpful. If you don't think we need more ways to create ash you not the target audience for this mechanic as you wouldn't care about quality.

Firebrand was good for most players in the quality regard, the method of it was bad and pushed botting. This gives the same quality advantages without botting incentivisation.

Your tool proposal shifts ash Q back to burning sticks with a metal bottleneck; The nerf of firebrand shifted the quality spiral of ash back to bone, while trees slowly race to match before the world wipes. I fail to see how your new tool would magically remove the need for a new leaf menu option.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby jock » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:43 pm

r0ck4ev3r wrote:
jock wrote:

Your tool proposal shifts ash Q back to burning sticks with a metal bottleneck; The nerf of firebrand shifted the quality spiral of ash back to bone, while trees slowly race to match before the world wipes. I fail to see how your new tool would magically remove the need for a new leaf menu option.

So it shifted it even more in favour of metal bottleneck and for the top quality bones?
Who cares if the lower quality players get hurt more as long as we double down on the need for more high ql bones, nothing wrong with a dominant strategy with few other options right?

The firebrand nerf was only needed because it incentives botting not because of the quality it gave.

Activate tool right click infrastructure collects ash... no need to have a flower menu at all.
jock

Return to Critique & Ideas