lockpicking should be at least a theft crime

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: lockpicking should be at least a theft crime

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:57 pm

Zephroze wrote:Irl lockpicking is considered breaking and entering, whereas just entering is trespassing.

The lock also stays irl, but breaking into a place is by no means an innocent act where trespassing could be.

Rummaging simply means looking into something. Picking a lock is not simply looking into something. You're bypassing a security feature by force. I'd call it vandalism.

Reminds me of how United Kingdom's lenient squatter protection laws (intended to disincentivize just leaving buildings vacant, wasting the space they occupy) were exploited so blatantly that they had to be repealed or severely reformed.

They simply had person A lockpick or break a lock to a building, then leave without entering. Then person B comes to the same building, presumably exclaims loudly "Oh look, an abandoned building!" and starts squatting (almost invariably inviting dozen other people who usually start making a huge mess the moment the eviction process starts.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Re: lockpicking should be at least a theft crime

Postby Zephroze » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:03 pm

Essentially give people an inch and they will take a mile.

The reason picking a lock is a more severe crime is because of the implications it has on the next actions taken.

Yes of course you're not actually damaging the lock, and you can just clip it back shut. Picking a lock on its own is simply rummaging. The implication is that you are not picking a lock simply to enjoy your freedom, and if so, just buy one from the store.

You are picking that lock to gain unlawful access to the contents. Why do you want access to the contents? Simply to look at them? "I was only looking officer" "I just wanted to see what's inside this building"

The implications of the action should weigh heavily on the consequences.
Zephroze

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas