Default client flower menu "quick pick"

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Default client flower menu "quick pick"

Postby vatas » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:07 am

People are already doing it with jury-rigged custom client features that may not have the best impact on server capacity. I don't think the best solution so I try to focus on presenting the core issue.

Some examples of tasks that are a click-fest on Default Client:

1) turn stockpile of blocks into sticks.
2) process 100 dead chickens down to meat and bone.
3) turn 100 lettuce heads into leaves without accidentally eating any since unmodified 6% hunger will hurt.
Last edited by vatas on Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Re: Default client flower menu "quick pick"

Postby MooCow » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:00 pm

This is by no means a disagreement with your point, I am just here to say that pressing a number key already instantly selects flower menu options.
MooCow

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:35 am

hey look it's client sided flower menus originally designed and implemented in 1999 by a team of two college students

MooCow wrote:pressing a number key already instantly selects flower menu options.

When I right click an inventory chicken to open a fm then press 1 on my keyboard the chicken's neck remains unsnapped
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:13 am

1 -> Flower menus on stock piles could have some more use cases. +1
2 & 3, Pressing a number key with flower menu open narrowly covers this;

vatas wrote:To dig up an old meme format: "Scripts that reduce the amount of clicks required are a gift to factions and nobody else."

...by all means, let the devs gift us with less clicks; processing could be added into the flower menu.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:57 am

Edited OP to clarify examples 2 and 3.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby MooCow » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:09 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:When I right click an inventory chicken to open a fm then press 1 on my keyboard the chicken's neck remains unsnapped

It works for me with numbers on top, but num-pad only works if num-lock is on. I am using the standard bindings on the default client.
I have been trying it out and it's been pretty good. Most mandatory features actually exist in the default client now.
MooCow

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:40 pm

MooCow wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:When I right click an inventory chicken to open a fm then press 1 on my keyboard the chicken's neck remains unsnapped

It works for me with numbers on top, but num-pad only works if num-lock is on. I am using the standard bindings on the default client.
I have been trying it out and it's been pretty good. Most mandatory features actually exist in the default client now.

He is complaining about the latency, and not just because he is from Australia with unfavorable geographic location in terms of internet latency. For no good reason*, flower menus are implemented server-side. This doubles your ping.

Imagine asking for a menu in restaurant and instead of waiter coming with menu, he comes without one and asks "are you sure" and when you invariably say "yes" waiter has to walk back and forth again until you get the menu.

*At least devs have not come forth and explained why it is implemented the way it is.

vatas

Postby vatas » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:56 am

How it should work: client tells server that player wants to pluck a chicken, after a ping this action is performed.

How it actually works: client tells server that player wants chicken flower menu. Client tells server that player pressed number key One. Server gives client the original flower menu. Key press is completely ignored if it was pressed before a double ping has passed since the initial "open flower menu" -request.

TL;DR: If you live in Australia, you have literal near-second timegate on every flower menu click. Scripts only help with automating the clicking so that it happens when server decides it can process the previous command.

vatas

Postby vatas » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:03 pm

I'm assuming none of the ghost patches has fixed this and BUMP is warranted.

vatas

Postby vatas » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:40 am

Not sure if this has the same root cause, but very similar issue. When you change the cursor on the fly (from regular to "area plant" or "mine") and try to perform that action, the game/server instead makes your character run as if regularly clicked. I'm assuming that instead of processing all commands, in sequence, clientside, this action unnecessarily involves server having to "rubberstamp" the commands, leading to unintended response.

vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas