Refer to in-game days/hours with "obsolete" English

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Refer to in-game days/hours with "obsolete" English

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:26 pm

loftar wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Not when "1d" means anything between "7h 17m 41s" and "14h 35m 21s"

Oh, you mean for the things that are intentionally inaccurate. The "7h 17m 41s" syntax is for curiosities, though, and the intentionally inaccurate specifications wouldn't include that many parts.

Are you saying the timers that use in-game time, and are greater than ~8 hours are intentionally inaccurate by up to ~8 hours. I think siege and meteors use in-game time
DDDsDD999

Postby DonVelD » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:15 pm

what does the ingame time accomplish? i'd just yeet it and separate the day/night cycle from the time. make it so everything uses normal time but the larpy day and night is still 8h per cycle. i doubt anyone uses or cares about ingame time. i could be missing some hidden important thing about ingame time but im pretty confident thats not the case

inb4 "the current time system is important because every other system relies on it" - it was a choice that the devs made & it might as well get changed
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:26 pm

loftar wrote:
  • I can't just naïvely translate the current times to RL times all over, because that would be ugly (eg. "7h 17m 41s" instead of "1d")

I get it, but letting your OCD be more important than systems literally not working and intentionally misleading people is prolly like bad or something
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:30 pm

loftar wrote:
  • I can't just naïvely translate the current times to RL times all over, because that would be ugly (eg. "7h 17m 41s" instead of "1d")

What's wrong with detailed time? "7h 17m 41s" is much better than 1 day which is not 1 day.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby bumfrog » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:05 pm

I mean, the game is supposed to be obtuse for the sense of mystery and strangeness, right?

I propose an ingame day becomes 1-6 ingame minutes longer/shorter at each world reset, just to mess with custom client time calculations
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:55 am

loftar wrote:
  • I clearly can't make the day/night cycle 24 RL hours.
  • I'd have to immolate myself for calendaric heresy if I made the in-game day anything other than 24 in-game hours.

I don't think the issue is the oscillation of in game time, 1 Däy as 7h 17m 41.398176s works; Day/Night/Year speed seem to fit fine.

The purposely ambiguous: Will refill in 7 weeks (a 49~43day window) works great for Localized Resources, if converted to däys or wëëks we'd lose level of that ambiguity. (Didn't think about that as a factor) I'm starting to see your impasse here.

The text I have gripe with is the: "Your claim to this land is too recent to be expanded. It needs to remain for another 2 däys." I just want to know its a haven däy.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby MooCow » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:12 am

r0ck4ev3r wrote:Däys or Wëëks

Best suggestion I've seen so far.
  • Unambiguously different from real word
  • Recognisable references to day/week without additional information
  • Looks good
MooCow

Postby sMartins » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:22 pm

Probably the simplest solution, as the op says, is to come up with a specific nomenclature for playing time so as to eliminate ambiguity.

Eg. haven day, H-Day, H&H Hour, 2 hourglasses, 3 sunrises, 10 sunsets, when the sundial marks xx in 15 sunrises ...... let your imagination run wild.

And then add a corresponding object that we can craft, so that it is obvious what it refers to: sundials, hourglasses, etc...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Agrik » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:53 pm

loftar wrote:No, I mean, it's true, I actually find myself looking at the code sometimes to see if something is in-game or RL time. I'm not denying it's a problem, and I'd like to solve it, I'm just not sure what a good solution is:
It's not so much about translating or adjusting the numbers.

What stops you from showing which is which?
Agrik

Postby noindyfikator » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:57 pm

Agrik wrote:
loftar wrote:No, I mean, it's true, I actually find myself looking at the code sometimes to see if something is in-game or RL time. I'm not denying it's a problem, and I'd like to solve it, I'm just not sure what a good solution is:
It's not so much about translating or adjusting the numbers.

What stops you from simply showing which is which?

Devs don't know which is which
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas