Request for Increasing Parchment Character Limit

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Request for Increasing Parchment Character Limit

Postby TheHearthlandHerald » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:49 am

Greetings Jorb and Loftar, Esteemed Developers of the Hearthlands,

I hope this message finds you well. First and foremost, let me express our immense gratitude for your relentless efforts in crafting and refining the world of the Hearthlands. It is a testament to your vision that our community thrives with stories, interactions, and adventures daily. The Hearthland Herald, along with numerous storytellers, researchers, and historians in our realm, have been documenting tales, news, and findings on the parchment system. The current character limit of 1,000 often restricts us, compelling our narratives to be truncated or, at times, split across multiple parchments.

Understanding that the world you've designed is rich and ever-evolving, we humbly request a review and possible increase in the parchment character limit. Doubling it, or even a significant increment, would greatly enhance our ability to convey detailed and immersive stories, thereby enriching the Hearthland's tapestry of tales. We understand that such changes might have underlying technical implications. Still, we believe that, with your expertise, a solution can be found that benefits storytellers without compromising the game's performance.

Thank you for considering this request. Our community is eager to delve deeper into storytelling, and we believe this adjustment could serve as a pivotal tool in that journey.

Warm regards,
The Hearthland Herald

TheHearthlandHerald

Re: Request for Increasing Parchment Character Limit

Postby azrid » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:24 am

tl dr
+1
azrid

Postby The_Blode » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:41 pm

Forgive me if this is already a thing, but could we "do a minecraft" and make it so a handful of parchment + a bit of hide/leather can be crafted into a book?
I've always felt the parchment character limit is "realistic" or "what you'd expect"
The_Blode

Postby Clemins » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:49 pm

TBH, I'm a little surprised they never thought of making "journals", or binding parchments together somehow.
Clemins

Postby meus » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:22 pm

A book (recipe/ schematic/ combat/ etc. "guidebook") containing multiple parchments would be great.

Could also be used for describing objects/moves and also:
- behave like container, like pouch/purse or creel
- ability to "read", or "teach", the entire book to a character (when containing multiple material accounts, combat instructions, etc.)
- be placed in containers and notice boards, or carried around

This could allow for sharing discoveries much more comfortably.
meus

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:34 pm

While we're at it make 1 hide create 2 parchments
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby loftar » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:59 pm

The parchment character limit used to be motivated primarily by the protocol limitation that one message had to fit into one network packet, and so by assumptions of the network MTU that could be expected. Since the protocol supports fragmentation since a fair while back, however, increasing the character limit could indeed be reasonable.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kaysaari » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:31 pm

If we can't copypaste the entirety of My Immortal onto a parchment and hang it on the wall, what's even the point?
kaysaari

Postby maze » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 pm

loftar wrote:The parchment character limit used to be motivated primarily by the protocol limitation that one message had to fit into one network packet, and so by assumptions of the network MTU that could be expected. Since the protocol supports fragmentation since a fair while back, however, increasing the character limit could indeed be reasonable.

time to make paper in the game look like a legit paper
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Return to Critique & Ideas