Mining bad because of required attribute grind (str)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mining bad because of required attribute grind (str)

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:17 am

There are 9 attributes. 8 attributes scale more or less fine for overall industry progression and there is Strength for mining/metal etc.

You have to have separate character with STR rush otherwise you won't be able to mine at the deepest available lvl.
Mineholes/Mining rush compared to other parts of the game is madness.

I can easily create one main character which will be able to perform almost all other tasks "fine", maybe not the best but fine.
For mining it's required to have specific miner character which is bad because it's another alt.

Please consider for the next world. I know you like Dwarf Fortress but going deeper shouldn't require separated character for "casual gameplay".
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Mining bad because of required attribute grind (str)

Postby Reiber » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:00 pm

i think its fine really, if you are in an settlement you mostly have an dedicated miner, that just enjoys mining, and only raises other stats on accident/enough to kill slimes.
and as an seasoned noob for many years i can tell you, it is not that hard to make an character that is self sufficient in most crafts, while still kinda keeping up with the strenght requirements, for the current mine level the world is stuck on,
bigboy miners and fighters exeed the strenght requirement for the walls they mine tenfold and more, at least up to and including lvl7
Reiber

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:13 pm

Reiber wrote:, while still kinda keeping up with the strenght requirements, for the current mine level the world is stuck on

I highly doubt u have +- 300 str on your main - not miner at this moment, which is required for current mine lvl
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby loleznub » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Mining this world is by far the easiest it's ever been with the hunger changes (no fep unless above 8k)

previously miners ate just about anything for energy which ruined their hunger / stats

This world they can sit there and eat bread until ready to FEP just STR.

Our miner has like 800 STR base and a gilding set of like +200/250 str on top of that. Even a try-hard hermit at this point should have base 150-225 stats if they know what they're doing. Getting a decent q pick to mine through tiles isn't hard either, same with a decent mining gilding set. If you aren't able to mine on the current level, kinda a skill issue ngl. Yeah, it takes a lot of work, but if you want anyone with half a brain cell to be able to constantly be mining the best level, that's just dumb.

Perhaps stay on the higher levels if you can't put the effort in to develop a good character as you're clearly not invested into the stat grind so quality shouldn't be a concern for you either
loleznub

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:28 pm

The topic is not about being unable to get 800 str but about necessary to have separated miner character. During last 2 years developers did a lot to reduce number of alts, and I am sure they can do smth also with required miner alt
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Postby Fostik » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:40 pm

I agree, strength requirements for mines are crazy.
Theoretically it requires you to sacrifice character and ruin fep, practically it requires some dude in your village to sacrifice his entire game experience to mining.

It could be better to have larger dependency on tool type and quality rather than strength stat itself.
Inability to mine at all without enough strength is also too demanding, there should be other ways rather than that.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:50 pm

Having it gated by str is good, I think, but the numbers and scaling on wall hardness per level are retarded. Tuning that down probably resolves the whole thing, maybe alongside what fostik says, and adjusting the weighting between str and tool.

Maybe could also have something like Salem, and this has been suggested/rejected before I think, but burning a fire next to the wall to soften it or some kind of mechanic like that to manually lower the hardness by some amount.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:12 pm

Fostik wrote:Theoretically it requires you to sacrifice character and ruin fep, practically it requires some dude in your village to sacrifice his entire game experience to mining.

This is exactly what I mean but written in better words.
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Postby Reiber » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:07 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
Reiber wrote:, while still kinda keeping up with the strenght requirements, for the current mine level the world is stuck on

I highly doubt u have +- 300 str on your main - not miner at this moment, which is required for current mine lvl

oure current miner is on 253 while still being able to touch animals and sew his own cloaths,
we only reached the current level, he will be on 300 before the pyre burns down
Reiber

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:52 pm

Reiber wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:

oure current miner is on 253 while still being able to touch animals and sew his own cloaths,
we only reached the current level, he will be on 300 before the pyre burns down

Dude 253 strength is not even mine alt at this point of the game
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas