Palisade Wall Costs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Palisade Wall Costs

Postby Aerona » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:14 am

I think the cost of palisade wall straight sections should be increased, and the cost of cornerposts (after the first) decreased. Right now straight sections cost 3 blocks per tile, while cornerposts cost 30 and gates 15. This has some weird effects on how players build walls, with many more gates than necessary and as few corners as possible. More importantly, it also means enormous enclosed areas are commonplace, and building outside walls is extremely rare for anyone that builds walls at all. The map is more fun to navigate if big box palisades aren't everywhere, so decreasing the cost of cornerposts and increasing the cost of straight sections would seem to do a lot of good things all at once.

I think adding a rope cost for gates (one for width 2, two for width 3) and a cloth cost for visitor's gates would also be good. The idea behind visitor's gates is for them to be used by visitors, but over 90% of those I see are only used to apply the debuff to anyone stepping through so that fence gates behind them can't be interacted with. That's clever and all, but it's ugly when there's dozens of them around an enclosure containing a million map tiles.
Aerona

Re: Palisade Wall Costs

Postby strpk0 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:36 am

lol
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Ø » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:49 am

Aerona wrote:I think the cost of palisade wall straight sections should be increased, and the cost of cornerposts (after the first) decreased. Right now straight sections cost 3 blocks per tile, while cornerposts cost 30 and gates 15. This has some weird effects on how players build walls, with many more gates than necessary and as few corners as possible. More importantly, it also means enormous enclosed areas are commonplace, and building outside walls is extremely rare for anyone that builds walls at all. The map is more fun to navigate if big box palisades aren't everywhere, so decreasing the cost of cornerposts and increasing the cost of straight sections would seem to do a lot of good things all at once.

I think adding a rope cost for gates (one for width 2, two for width 3) and a cloth cost for visitor's gates would also be good. The idea behind visitor's gates is for them to be used by visitors, but over 90% of those I see are only used to apply the debuff to anyone stepping through so that fence gates behind them can't be interacted with. That's clever and all, but it's ugly when there's dozens of them around an enclosure containing a million map tiles.

I am truly sorry that you do not understand base design and security in this game. Perhaps some research on your end is in order.
Ø

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:21 am

jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby TheServant » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:00 am

i can give you q200 stone axe q150 pickaxe 5 tokens if you stop posting
TheServant

Postby Ø » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:02 am

TheServant wrote:i can give you q200 stone axe q150 pickaxe 5 tokens if you stop posting

I haven't shit posted enough to get this offer... FeelsBadMan
Ø

Postby Aerona » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:03 am

Ø wrote:I am truly sorry that you do not understand base design and security in this game. Perhaps some research on your end is in order.

What is there to understand? It's easy, too easy, and it has nothing to do with this since it would be the same regardless. Bases would just be smaller, and walls would be around important structures and resources instead of around vast regions of empty space, if straight sections cost more to build. I'm aware that large palisades are vulnerable to siege weapons, but with decay on claims taken out of the game that's not enough to stop sprawling walls from going all over the place.

From the reactions, looks like I hit a nerve, as usual.
Aerona

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:07 am

Aerona wrote:Everyone's calling me a retard, I MUST be right!

Why are you like this?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Aerona » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:16 am

If this was a bad idea, there'd be no point in bullying the person who posted it. The bullying serves two purposes, to discourage players from posting ideas you disagree with and to silence any support or discussion of this idea in particular. You being scared of an idea is not the same as it being a bad idea, and increasingly it's starting to look like the opposite might be true, since you keep flying off the handle whenever anything that would make the game work better for players who play it for fun instead of as an outlet for their constant internal rage.
Aerona

Postby Ø » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:18 am

Aerona wrote:
Ø wrote:I am truly sorry that you do not understand base design and security in this game. Perhaps some research on your end is in order.

What is there to understand? It's easy, too easy, and it has nothing to do with this since it would be the same regardless. Bases would just be smaller, and walls would be around important structures and resources instead of around vast regions of empty space, if straight sections cost more to build. I'm aware that large palisades are vulnerable to siege weapons, but with decay on claims taken out of the game that's not enough to stop sprawling walls from going all over the place.

From the reactions, looks like I hit a nerve, as usual.

Ok, have fun being robbed with your stuff outside of your palisade. Of course, your detection level probably isn't even high enough to see that you've been burgled, so, what would you care? You weren't using it anyway.

smh

Bases would NOT be smaller; people would chop down more trees. Cloth? For Visitors Gates? So, you want all the thieves to have easy access to everyones stuff without debuff? You know, why not just remove wooden locks while we're at it?

If I want to trade and don't know the person the safest way to do that is to have them take Visitors debuff. They can't attack me, steal my stuff, or even look around so long as my claim settings are as they should be. But no, no... Too many visitors gates in the game...

Regular gate with a house to get rid of aggro so you can enter Visitor Gate or Hearthfire tele to safety. It's an airlock safety and security system.

Now, for those that were abusing a bug and using nothing but gates instead of walls... That was patched out. GGWP
ALSO, gates for palisade cost 30 for 2x wide and 45 for 3x wide. Where the fuck did you get 15?

And, people use large lots of land. This is normal game play. It may seem empty to you, but it will all get filled and then need expansion over time.

Are you upset because people put more effort into their bases than you do? I don't get what you're on about, but good luck.

ps
prolly should have let someone else tell you all this in a more kind manner, but hey... i took the time so enjoy
Ø

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas