Glue blocks together -> saw glue block = boards

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Glue blocks together -> saw glue block = boards

Postby maze » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:50 pm

Glue 10 blocks together to make a wood block that can then sawed.
This will allow us to get rare blocks like beaver salvage as boards or bushes to use as boards.

and then make anything made this way take a giant negative quaility hit like [10 {BLOCKS}+1 {GLUE}]/10 = Wooden block Q
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Glue blocks together -> saw glue block = boards

Postby Ø » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:26 am

You had my vote until you put in this horrid idea for a quality hit.

Cap it at the average of the blocks used. Ignore the quality of the glue. The math for making boards from this special block is unchanged from sawing logs and you get decent boards.

Something that hasn't been addressed is how many boards would the block be able to make? The problem here is more complex than it seems as you have to take into account how many block each individual object can produce. Then you have to make sure that people can or can't abuse this special block to make more planks than you can get from an individual log.

Example:
King's Oak Tree produces 4 logs. Each log can produce a maximum of 50 blocks OR a maximum of 20 boards.
If it takes 10 blocks to make a glue block how many boards can that block make? It should not be able to exceed 4 boards per glue block.

And each tree is different. It would be a lot of work even if blocks created from logs that can create boards are ignored.

Still, I would like to see that in the game for those blocks that don't have board counterparts. We can dream, right?
Ø

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:46 pm

Ø wrote:You had my vote until you put in this horrid idea for a quality hit.

Please don't encourage elderberry boards as wood meta in mid game. That wouldn't be fun.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Reiber » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:56 pm

just make glueboards always base q10.
this allows us to finally make wither boards for houses,
your crafting stations will still look like trash, but it would open up the option at least to change the colour for an sketchbook page if it matters to you.
Reiber

Postby maze » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:39 pm

~
Still, I would like to see that in the game for those blocks that don't have board counterparts. We can dream, right?

The point is to make the items that don't have boards, if blocks + Glue are to become a thing, it would be the meta way to raise quality.
I would agree with Reiber that making it always come out q10 would remove any meta gaming possibility's
game ideas
maze

Postby Ø » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:31 am

Sevenless wrote:

Please don't encourage elderberry boards as wood meta in mid game. That wouldn't be fun.

maze wrote:
~

The point is to make the items that don't have boards, if blocks + Glue are to become a thing, it would be the meta way to raise quality.
I would agree with Reiber that making it always come out q10 would remove any meta gaming possibility's

Alright, point taken. As long it doesn't go under q10; that's really where my bitch was coming from. *puke*

Can you really rush Elderberry quality that much? (Legit question from a noob)
Ø

Postby Reiber » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:37 am

yes, elderberrys grow considerably faster than any tree, whenever you see an high quality stone axe, its made out of elderberry,
Reiber

Postby Sevenless » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:48 pm

Ø wrote:Can you really rush Elderberry quality that much? (Legit question from a noob)

To expand a bit on what reiber said: Elderberry bushes give quite a few blocks (1-15 according to wiki, I remember it being 1-10ish but you get the idea), have a base growth time that's half the time for trees, and give 8 seeds. Trees basically always approach the quality of their inputs (table, pots, soil, water), and elderberries do that way faster than a tree will. Also, because they give 8 berries to replant instead of 2 seeds, you can further double down on this boost by being able to plant 10-100 blocks worth of elderberries off a single good quality roll. More than enough wood for the quality spiral requirements.

Late late late game this kinda stops mattering as your quality growth in your industry slows down (so your trees catch up), but elderberries will have a sizeable quality edge for the first 3 months of the world. My village chose not to do bushes this world and I could really feel the difference in our stone axe quality spiral.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Ø » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 pm

Hmmm I see... Suppose I should have started with bushes instead of trees. Oh, well!

At least now I understand where the quality cap/cut comes in. Is it a bit much or am I just not seeing how OP Elderberries are?
Ø

Postby maze » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:47 pm

Ø wrote:Hmmm I see... Suppose I should have started with bushes instead of trees. Oh, well!

At least now I understand where the quality cap/cut comes in. Is it a bit much or am I just not seeing how OP Elderberries are?

if you start with elderberries the moment you get a herbalist bench, you can spiral it quickly up to Q20-30 first growth, then after 4-5 days another Q40 more~ basically by the end of the month you should already have around q80-100 Elderberries.
There is a few insane ways to mid max this this process. This world I was able to work with a group and after 3 growth cycles they hit q120. The process was extremely time consuming, and completely fking dumb.
game ideas
maze

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas