The issue of Fishing

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The issue of Fishing

Postby veme » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 pm

There is a massive issue with fishing right now - unpredictability. I sat down onto topic of fishing, but it's very hard to measure it somehow. As other components such as searching of good ql of water, sand, clay, animals and so on is quite easy, cause you simple move around and check the spots, that fishing on the other hand is totally messed up. Tried to do excel for that and came to similar conclusions as W15 Sevenless's Cheat Sheet, but still it didn't help much.

Lures are quite easy - it's always given % of chance for given fish. OK.
img1.png
img1.png (34.97 KiB) Viewed 344 times

The left side of the combo is sick. My conclusion is something like (Lure * Line * Hook) * (Moon * Time of the day) * Spot = % chance. We would need some hint or clarification on this topic, cause for now, fishing, at least for me, is pain in the ass. Fisherman credo was simple quting quests and searching for most simplest one such as Pike or Smelt to catch. I know fishing in real life is complex, but it's still the game and I don't understand why it's so complicated where other mechanics are quite straightforward.

I tried to focus on one fish, tried all the combos possible for me, for lure, hook and line. It was measured at one time and moon phase. It looks like this:
img2.png
img2.png (17.18 KiB) Viewed 344 times

The shittiest part is that it's not working at all. Came the next day here, same spot, same time, same moon phase, and sudennly Zander combo of Macabre + Bone + Rock Lobster is givin 93% where it did 58% -_- WTF? Sometimes when you fish on afk, you got different fish? Why? What changed? Suddenly chance of other fish came from 0% to 80% and my fish that I was fishing dropped from 80% to 0%? Why q(o__o q)

Loftar & Jorb - can we somehow stabilize it? Make it more predictable? Cause for me, it's now pure luck or some complex equation that noone understands... The Issues of this that unpredictability. Check the Alchemy. Its complex, but its measurable. You can make Excel of this, and when you repeat the combo - result is the same. Check Mining - easy rules but result is the same. Check meat smoking - its complex but finally you can find ideał combo of meat and wood, it can be REPEATED. Why fishing doesnt work the same?
veme

Re: The issue of Fishing

Postby yym331 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:29 am

It's simply the fish moving around. It will return to normal after a while. Using the same lure in the same spot is a bad idea because fish are clearly meta. Fisherman should fish while moving through various water areas.
Haven and Hearth Secrets of Hunting and Combat - Archive
https://youtu.be/2HdoAHInheQ
yym331

Postby Sevenless » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:40 pm

The shittiest part is that it's not working at all. Came the next day here, same spot, same time, same moon phase, and sudennly Zander combo of Macabre + Bone + Rock Lobster is givin 93% where it did 58% -_- WTF?

Myself and my entire village have never had this issue. I did the casting cheat sheet, and it has been 100% consistent.

Cause for me, it's now pure luck or some complex equation that noone understands

It's pure RNG, but it's 100% consistent. Same with alchemy though, how it works is simple but massively randomized with insane potential numbers of combos (but sadly a very limited set of results).

The only time this doesn't hold true is when an update adds a new alchemical ingredient or a new fishing lure/line/hook. Those can scramble combos.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby bettandur » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:25 am

Where would one find a fishing cheat sheet?
bettandur

Postby Unfug » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:43 pm

bettandur wrote:Where would one find a fishing cheat sheet?

click on the link to 'W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet' in Sevenless' reply above yours, it's in his comment signature
Unfug

Postby bettandur » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:13 pm

Unfug wrote:
bettandur wrote:Where would one find a fishing cheat sheet?

click on the link to 'W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet' in Sevenless' reply above yours, it's in his comment signature

Thank-you!
bettandur

Postby Harunobu » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:32 am

I think fishing needs a rework. Indeed, it is too random. There's too many parameters. And it is very cumbersome. I think the rewards are also on the low side.
Harunobu

Return to Critique & Ideas