Spamming cornerposts to prevent/delay siege

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Spamming cornerposts to prevent/delay siege

Postby donbot » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:53 pm

bots are intended game design not abuse if you dont have one ur a retard ¦]
What amazes me more than how light the punishment was, is how nothing was done about it ingame. I'm actually starting to think people are frightened that you'll do it again, so to protect the server, they work with you instead of going against you, all in the hopes that you will leave the server alone.
donbot
Under curfew

femboys

Postby DonCheadle » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:13 pm

There’s two types of wb villagers:
  • those who hate when ppl use bots and exploits (sprucecap nematodes)
  • those who use bots and exploits (militia and other leadership)

They’re both retards.
DonCheadle wrote:People have always been obsessed by celebrities. There are just more outlets and opportunities to make a living exploiting that obsession nowadays.
DonCheadle

Postby azrid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:37 am

Dawidio123 wrote:angryposting :x

What do you think a fair outcome for this type of siege would be in an ideal world?

MightySheep wrote:if you had a proper village design with visitor gates between plots then this "siege" should probably take weeks and require 50+ people to stay up all night every day for those weeks, thats not a functioning siege system

think about how much you guys cried about how much of a stack it was to the point that you literally were ready to quit on day 1 before berhtedin saved it and if that 4 faction "stack" couldnt siege the biggest noob village in the game with a terrible anti-siege village layout then who can be sieged? basically nobody, unless youre talking 50 man defending catapults to raid a small hermit or something

There are very few people who will be able to build and execute a proper anti siege village.
We are talking about brodgar here where the meat of the playerbase is made out of people who are really slow at learning haven or just starting out.
I hope you realize Haven isn't a game focused on pvp anymore.
Players want to have fun doing everything else available in the game rather than participate in autistic pvp.
Village defending being accessible to noobs is a good thing for the game.
Because of the successful defense of whateverbay we still have the only market in the game right now.
I don't think you will be able to siege people who are good at siege defense in any system.
Smart players already don't have a big central village but separately claimed bases that are close enough for resource sharing.
Tearing down a bad system is easy but suggesting something better to replace it is very hard.

MightySheep wrote:this will be another world where there is not even 1 raided village of any size and ppl will still act like raiding is fine

This is because no matter the siege system, the outcome of a successful siege will be total destruction.
Just look at what happened to Aurora.
Thats why people like siege being nearly impossible.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:03 am

Sieges are some of the most significant community events in the game. People's loss avoidance bias makes them advocate against them being possible, but somebody occasionally getting sieged is better for the game than a stagnant world. Every major siege I've been involved with has had people logging in for the first time in months to fight on trash old characters, or scouring the earth to find/sell brimstone. It's the only time the game has legitimate, unironic "politics". It makes the world feel alive and gives people a reason to play.

Also, the current system makes sieging people who can't fight with single wall villages kindof easy if nobody interferes. It only becomes unreasonable if the defender is heavily compartmentalized or can even vaguely fight you.

I'm pretty sure if I setup an archer bot or just make some shit char aggro nearest and QB I could literally win sieges vs. 95%+ of the game. Small people being siegeable but large community siege events being unrealistic seems like the worst of both worlds.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby azrid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:32 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Sieges are some of the most significant community events in the game. People's loss avoidance bias makes them advocate against them being possible, but somebody occasionally getting sieged is better for the game than a stagnant world. Every major siege I've been involved with has had people logging in for the first time in months to fight on trash old characters, or scouring the earth to find/sell brimstone. It's the only time the game has legitimate, unironic "politics". It makes the world feel alive and gives people a reason to play.

I agree that siege should be possible.
I would love to read someones detailed C&I thread and rate it. Inb4 shaki gets mad again.
If you get people who disagree with you most of the time to see your vision and support it, it would make a good case to change the current siege to that new idea.
Just FYI total destruction of a village is a non starter for a lot of people and if you don't address that your idea is going to flop.

People who just log on for siege are not really significant to the game.
These people are just tourists who aren't maingaming Haven.
You will never catch their attention for the whole world.
Although I'd love to hear anyones genius ideas that could change my opinion.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:53 am

azrid wrote:People who just log on for siege are not really significant to the game.

Whenever a major event happens a bunch of people from my willage login intending to only participate in that event, then get caught up in some other random bullshit and end up playing semi-regularly for months. I'm no game psychologist or what-the-fuck-ever, but I'm pretty sure that's why most modern games have daily quests/events and shit. Just getting you to login for 20 minutes to do some dumb shit is sometimes enough to _sometimes_ hook you again for months.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MightySheep » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:54 am

azrid wrote:Thats why people like siege being nearly impossible.

Why are you still saying "nearly" when the strongest evidently cant even siege the weakest ... while simultaneously saying you think siege should exist in this game, it doesnt add up

besides ur not reading what this thread is about, because when it comes to siege, u and half the forum dont even read the conversation you just automatically insert your lame "nerf siege" viewpoint. This thread is about how stupid the siege mechanics are, that applies to both defenders and attackers. These mechanics are pure cancer for both sides. Its still too soon for wb ppl to objectively discuss siege mechanic but I can tell you they almost certainly agree that autisticly spamming cornerposts all day and night isn't particularly fun

It's not like I think siege should be something ez thing ur right its obvious nobody wants that anymore. I just want siege to exist. This siege was nothing more than a test to see if siege actually exist and the answer is no it doesnt. Thats kinda boring to me.
MightySheep

Postby azrid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:17 pm

MightySheep wrote:
azrid wrote:Thats why people like siege being nearly impossible.

Why are you still saying "nearly" when the strongest evidently cant even siege the weakest ... while simultaneously saying you think siege should exist in this game, it doesnt add up

It only doesn't add up to you because of your rigid idea of a successful siege.
In your world siege isn't possible because your ideal outcome didn't happen.
Think outside the box for a moment and try to understand opposing views.
SnuggleSnail wrote:
azrid wrote:People who just log on for siege are not really significant to the game.

Whenever a major event happens a bunch of people from my willage login intending to only participate in that event, then get caught up in some other random bullshit and end up playing semi-regularly for months. I'm no game psychologist or what-the-fuck-ever, but I'm pretty sure that's why most modern games have daily quests/events and shit. Just getting you to login for 20 minutes to do some dumb shit is sometimes enough to _sometimes_ hook you again for months.

You have a great group then.
I doubt other groups involved had this happen.
Clearly you have proven yourself as a good pvp community builder seeing as you united 4 opposing groups.
You should consider using your charisma to do events every few months to see if others also get hooked back into haven.
azrid

Postby mamflo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:25 pm

donbot wrote:bots are intended game design not abuse if you dont have one ur a retard ¦]

bots is for retard, i write code for money i don't waste time developing algorithms for a game like a retard
mamflo

Postby MightySheep » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm

azrid wrote:It only doesn't add up to you because of your rigid idea of a successful siege.
In your world siege isn't possible because your ideal outcome didn't happen.
Think outside the box for a moment and try to understand opposing views.

Idk what youre talking about but Im talking about siege/raiding. Everybody knows what that entails.

A successful siege means you get access to the inside of village and loot everything, what else could it possible mean? When you say you also want siege to be in the game what form of "siege" were u referring to if not this?
MightySheep

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas