Daily reminder that animal nodes encourage botting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Daily reminder that animal nodes encourage botting

Postby maze » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:57 am

Nightdawg wrote:
maze wrote:No matter what there is a bot for checking if there is bears around, looking for orcas, walking around on mountains for any q of mammoth.

At least if there's no quality nodes, I can just go around myself, instead of using one single alt to check the same spot 24/7 every 20 minutes.

lol

but that's not what ends up happening, the current bots being used are road/exporer bots that just following a path ever 20 mins in every direction possible.
Then people setup more and more of these bots to comb grids. As we see for whale, Orca, mammoth and Chasm Conch.
Nobody really does it for anything else, as you know already, unless that animal is above 250.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:36 am

Naked alts can't just guess the quality of whatever animal you find chief (assuming quality nodes get removed), you still need to kill them

Finding animals is not hard. Problem is having to bot the same q400 spot 24/7
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby maze » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:29 am

Nightdawg wrote:Naked alts can't just guess the quality of whatever animal you find chief (assuming quality nodes get removed), you still need to kill them

Finding animals is not hard. Problem is having to bot the same q400 spot 24/7

The means of what I'm saying is, people don't always bot for the Q of animals and mostly just bot for finding the animals; their is extremely rare case arguments of nodes that are above q250; but in most cases people would take any Q of whale, Orca, mammoth, angler and Chasm Conch.

I think I can name currently 2 spots that are botted, red deer that are around q300 and a bear spot; the rest of the time people are scooping out high Q spots just for food reasons, the bots only really get used for bones.

Animals nodes and finding Animals encourages botting; making roaming nodes does not add to any level of fun and just increases the amount of time players would have to search to possible unreasonable amounts of times; what would encourage animal search bots again~ I'm already dreaming up on how I'd do it with a snekja bot to just search and aggro animals. (like your coastal bot that runs along deep water ;) )

I agree there is a problem, I don't think roaming nodes is the correct fix.
game ideas
maze

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am

This would completely break the local animal quality increase questgiver reward, and I simply cannot abide by that.
DDDsDD999

Postby azrid » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:36 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:This would completely break the local animal quality increase questgiver reward, and I simply cannot abide by that.

sometimes we must sacrifice what we love

maze wrote:Animals nodes and finding Animals encourages botting; making roaming nodes does not add to any level of fun and just increases the amount of time players would have to search to possible unreasonable amounts of times

Roaming nodes means you have a reason to visit more than 0.001% of the available map.
Another benefit is slowing down the industry quality growth.
Even more beneficial is the boost in trade that will inevitably come from the scarcity of hq bones. High lvl players will be forced to buy bones from local hunters.
Current status quo is boring as hell and you can't compete with someone checking the same node with a bot versus doing it manually.

I would love to see roaming bots who kill every animal.
They will be great loot for mid level players. Player made npcs.
Sprucecaps would benefit from such bots by getting free animals that are littered all over the place.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
azrid

Postby Dawidio123 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:10 am

maze wrote:Maybe we should have provinces that are a giant dungeon on world start, "tightly packed forest" that have hourly reset, to get in you need a key "blessing of the forest" what you can obtain everyday for a quest giver; item would be soul bound so it would turn to dust if someone else tries to pick it up. The dungeon will have multiply entrances that lead to a massive dungeon. At the center of the dungeon a curio "the forest heart", and other curios scattered around the forest. animals inside the dungeon in ever room have higher Quality then normal.
That way bots are less needed, we always know where high Q animals are. 2-3 provinces on every island could be this massive forest dungeon.
Other rare interesting things could be found in this dungeon and it would be a possible hotspot for some pvp.

Tbh overcomplicated and way too typical mmo for lobtar to implement.

Ø wrote:What if the server checked the players base survival within a province and averaged it to then be used for the animal spawns quality level? Yes, this would cause alt spamming. People would either be forced to up their survival on all alts or for a contested area people would spam low survival alts to grief. This could be partially mitigated by checking for exp gained per week with a minimum required to be counted towards the average. It would potentially encourage neighboring provinces to contest each others zones or neighboring villages and hermits to keep their survival high to ensure animal quality continues to creep up.

So more reasons to kill random hermits and everyone in your village either lives a bit away or has to raise survi?

maze wrote:The means of what I'm saying is, people don't always bot for the Q of animals and mostly just bot for finding the animals; their is extremely rare case arguments of nodes that are above q250; but in most cases people would take any Q of whale, Orca, mammoth, angler and Chasm Conch.

I think I can name currently 2 spots that are botted, red deer that are around q300 and a bear spot; the rest of the time people are scooping out high Q spots just for food reasons, the bots only really get used for bones.

I agree there is a problem, I don't think roaming nodes is the correct fix.

Most people are sprucecaps and never made a single bone clay in their entire game time, that doesn't mean the bone grind is in a good spot.
Did anyone suggest roaming nodes? I'm pretty sure nightdawg is suggesting random quality animals which i'm all up for if it means that 99% of what i hunt near my base won't be garbage by default. Also it would help with having to setup a bot after you notice the hql node being there since there'd be no node.

Like it's not even funny how much a simple checking bot helps compared to just checking it manually, if you never tried grinding 300ql+ bones you probably won't think it's that relevant but it really is. I was personally against making checking alts this world (ie. was too lazy to do it) and thought just checking the spots would be enough. Well someone finally made those alts and lemme tell you it has never been as easy to gather hql bones as it is rn.

On the topic of quest rewards giving quality, it could be preserved by it applying over the randomql of the animal you just hunted, but, tbf, it's a bullshit mechanic that is used to raise animals to 900ql overtime and i think it should just be removed, if not at least nerfed so it doesn't raise animal quality over an arbitrary max quality (max ql animal spawn without quest boosts). This way it could still be used to make hql hunting grounds without centering whole game balance around it (idc that much bcs i will quit before this autistic piece of shit system becomes relevant, but it doesn't seem healthy for the longevity of the game due to quests being obnoxious mechanic only few actually enjoy).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby mamflo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:58 pm

јorb wrote:Bots are part of the game, no change there

Wait, wait, wait, I didn't understand. Do the bots that go searching for animals belong to the game? And where do I find this bot in my regularly purchased game?
mamflo

Postby azrid » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:35 pm

fake jorb account nothing to see here
azrid

Postby maze » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:45 pm

@azrid the map is already explored to find these high Q nodes, forcing the player to re explore or just go around hunting does not really enable players anything, or add any difference to the game.

Both methods the current model and roaming nodes don't add anything to the game~ it would just make the game more mindless to wonder around hoping you get lucky for a big score. Sure one can argue this might promote trade more, but I doubt it really effects it that much.

The hunting bots that randomly roam are already a thing, just like the forging bots; just one is more complicated then the other.

@Dawidio123 my suggestion is pretty simple, in a sense, and uses all elements that's already inside the game. It would be mainly making a zone and having "unchoppable" trees spawn within 5 spaces from the zone lines. Have the dungeon logic spawn like current dungeons around the zone on the hour or few. Dungeon logic is already solid but would require multiply entrances. The idea stems from J&L wanting to add mythical creatures in but they don't want to place them in the over world but rather in dungeons or cave level. With a hotspot mega dungeon that everyone goes to, it would check off the goal of both HighQ farming spot, a spot to add rare animal/creature types and possible pvp encounters.

I can only think the pvpers are scared because they'd be red handed while in a dungeon :lol:
game ideas
maze

Postby terechgracz » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:17 pm

Can't we simplify things by making every piece of animal worth the same just by removing the quality system? This could shift focus from tedious tasks to socializing, community building, and PvP. Quality doesn't enhance gameplay positively, it just diminishes the value of time spent in the game due to rapid inflation. While the quality system was cool when there wasn't enough content, now there's enough material to tailor engaging gameplay without it.
terechgracz

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas